PDA

View Full Version : [Alternate Systems]Unisystem or T2K/TNE

Kilgs
03-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I spent a good chunk of last year converting TNE/T2K to a more MP style system (chargen). I'm pretty pleased with it although I stopped working on it a few months ago. It's open-ended, rewards players for academic backgrounds and provides enough skills that a person is generally useful in a number of situations. The one thing that irritated me about the system was the high Attribute numbers and how they eclipsed skills in many situations. But the system is a good one for this paramilitary type setting.
---------
Recently, I've been stocking up on Classic Unisystem which is a phenomenal generic modern system. I was interested in it for other reasons but kept thinking about bring the MP setting over to it. The combat is pretty brutal and dangerous. The skill system is a bit lacking but with a few additions could easily be made more MP-friendly. The use of Qualities/Drawbacks and MOS type stuff from Armed Forces is very fitting. Also, it's got a lot more emphasis on science type things.

Advantages... better system, more stats on science items and projects
Flaws... lack of lots of equipment stats for things which would be found in post-apoc like vehicles and so on. Chargen is more loose and lacks the mini-game aspect of T2K.

-------------
So now I'm wondering whether to convert it over to Unisystem. And if I do, do I keep the career progression (terms) from the previous idea. I like it in the sense that characters are well-rounded and you have an idea of what they've been doing the past decade or so. The TNE/T2K system provides you with a linear path of progression so your character has more depth instead of just skills. Rebooting the chargen system isn't hard but would require more work. The combat system in UNI, especially Martial Arts, is far more interesting. With some of the AFMBE books, it's easy to create things which fit the setting such as mutants, psychics and so on.

Any thoughts?

SentryGun
03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Interesting, I had similiar thoughts to this in using the Unisystem for MP.

If you are still doing this, this book would be of use to you.

Armageddon: Armed Force (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/51183/Armageddon%3A-Armed-Force)

Packed full of information that would be of use in an Unisystem MP game.

ArmySGT.
03-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Kilgs,

I admit I have read this once or twice. Like a lot of People I have considered "The Morrow Project" in another Game System.

Remember the premise. " The Actors are up against improbable odds."

The motto for the U.S. Navy SEALs is "The only easy day, was yesterday."

The real role playing challenge is not to Survive, the challenge is to complete the Mission in spite of it.