RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Poll: Military Service (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=251)

kato13 11-11-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 14640)
Well thanks. I got engaged on Monday. How are you?

Congrats

Targan 11-11-2009 03:10 PM

Thanks!

TiggerCCW UK 11-11-2009 04:48 PM

Congrats again Targan!:D

Targan 11-12-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK (Post 14651)
Congrats again Targan!:D

Thanks again. There is a very happy girl at my house, prone to bouts of random giggling as she plays with her engagement ring.

jester 12-11-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Now why on earf would you go and do a thing like that?

Now life as you know it will come to a crashing halt. Well amigo, it was good knowing you. :D

Well guys, another one of us bites the bullet. And thus we few are getting fewer thanks to wives and works taking away from our important game time ;)

Webstral 12-12-2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 14671)
Thanks again. There is a very happy girl at my house, prone to bouts of random giggling as she plays with her engagement ring.

Make the most of it. When it comes to wives, today's joys are tomorrow's expectations are the What,-is-that-it?'s of the day after.

Webstral

P.S. Congratulations

pmulcahy11b 12-12-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester (Post 15310)
Well guys, another one of us bites the bullet. And thus we few are getting fewer thanks to wives and works taking away from our important game time ;)

You'll always have me. I'm almost 48, never found Ms Right or had any children, and I think it's too late now.:( And dating is too expensive anyway $$$$.

Adm.Lee 01-17-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester (Post 15310)
And thus we few are getting fewer thanks to wives and works taking away from our important game time ;)

Heh. I married a gamer. Even better, she has played Twilight with me. It's the kids that keep us from gaming together now.

pmulcahy11b 01-18-2010 01:27 AM

My second girlfriend was a gamer. That's how I met her, actually, though it was D&D, as Twilight 2000 was still over 10 years in the future.

Targan 01-18-2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 16604)
My second girlfriend was a gamer. That's how I met her, actually, though it was D&D, as Twilight 2000 was still over 10 years in the future.

My first two girlfriends were both gamers. They were good friends actually. We played D&D but it didn't seem to help in encouraging them to play with my sword... *ehem*

Owen E Oulton 01-24-2010 01:22 PM

Introduction

I spent a few years in the Canadian Armed Forces Primary Land Reserves (a.k.a. Militia), West Nova Scotia, D Company, 2 Platoon way back in the late 1970's, and reached the lofty rank of Corporal. I ran into the Morrow Project game back in 1981 when I was working at Odyssey 2000 book store in Halifax, and ran it as-is for a couple of years. I'm currently running a campaign using the Twilight:2000 v2.2 rules, set in the Annapolis Valley in 2150. My "end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it" (EOTWAWKI) is centred around Y2K and an alien incident (not an invasion). The players are the surviving 4 members of the 6-man Recce Team R-42. They've just woken up and made contact with the local Mi'kmac indians. I'm running it on-line by eMail, and the site is http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/morrow/morrow.htm . I've established that the "crash" of the Morrow Project has something to do with someone or something called "Krell" and that the main villians are Nazis in Halifax. I've been working a fair bit on the Nova Scotialist Democratic Action Party (NSDAP) but have't posted any of it on the site yet, as the PCs are freshly out of the tubes and have only heard vague rumours so far. To date, I have 4 players, 3 in the Ottawa area, and 1 in Costa Rica, with 1 more potential here in Ottawa. I'm not recruiting any more. I've been a member and a moderator at the Trek-RPG Forums - http://forum.trek-rpg.net - for several years and have been running a Trek game since 1983.

headquarters 01-27-2010 06:55 AM

getting married..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 16605)
My first two girlfriends were both gamers. They were good friends actually. We played D&D but it didn't seem to help in encouraging them to play with my sword... *ehem*

scientists have discovered a food that reduces female sexdrive by 95 % Targan..

Its called a wedding cake.

mikeo80 02-06-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Congrats, Targan!!

I hope for a long and happy life for you and your intended.

I've been married 24 years now. 2 kids & 5 grandkids later.....:D

My wife is NOT a gamer. Whenever I pick up my dice, she smiles, shakes her head, and wanders off to do her thing. As long as I have my share of the chores done...There WILL be swash to be buckled!!! :p

Mike

Targan 02-06-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeo80 (Post 18286)
Congrats, Targan!!

I hope for a long and happy life for you and your intended.

I've been married 24 years now. 2 kids & 5 grandkids later.....:D

Thanks!. And well done. 24 years is a great achievement.

jester 02-06-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 15313)
You'll always have me. I'm almost 48, never found Ms Right or had any children, and I think it's too late now.:( And dating is too expensive anyway $$$$.

That statement makes me feel like the docs should up the dosage of my meds. So Paul does this mean we will be little ol men in wheelchairs at the old veterans home RPGing between naps? If thats the case, we should start working on recruiting more folks for our group now. And uh, you can GM the first campaign.:p

Hey guys, at least Paul and I now have a REAL face to face group to look forward to.......in 30 or 40 years. :D

pmulcahy11b 02-07-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester (Post 18348)
Hey guys, at least Paul and I now have a REAL face to face group to look forward to.......in 30 or 40 years. :D

That'll be an interesting game -- a bunch of senile RPGers!

Spec6 03-10-2010 07:54 AM

Served from 1969 -1973 US Army . Finished AIT as a 45k20 and sent to Nam as a 11Bush . But that was a long time ago .

Frank Frey 03-18-2010 04:02 PM

I spent three years in the army. I was in Vietnam from November 1968 to November 1969. Got an early REFRAD for coming back with less than three months left to go on my active duty commitment.
To all my fellow vets, "Welcome Home". Thank you for your service. To the others, thank you for your interest and support.

Fusilier 05-09-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton (Post 17267)
I spent a few years in the Canadian Armed Forces Primary Land Reserves (a.k.a. Militia), West Nova Scotia, D Company, 2 Platoon way back in the late 1970's, and reached the lofty rank of Corporal. I ran into the Morrow Project game back in 1981 when I was working at Odyssey 2000 book store in Halifax

Halifax eh? That's where I'm from. I also spent some of my service time down in Aldershot when I was in the PLF.

Most of my hard copy Twilight books came from Odyssey 2000 too.

perardua 05-09-2010 10:54 AM

Been a member of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment for five years, deployed to Afghanistan with a regular field squadron last year as part of my gap year from university, where I was a member of the mortar Flight. I'm now finishing my degree, and whilst I was originally planning a career in the police on graduation, the current lack of police recruiting in the UK has nudged me towards volunteering for a second tour after graduating, which at least will give me something to do for a year, after which hopefully there will be a chance of getting into the police.

HorseSoldier 05-09-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 814)
I don't think I've ever jumped with zero wind!

I've seen some wind meters held inside the back of a humvee ambulance to determine that winds were zero on the DZ. What the guys coming in on the jump actually experienced might have varied . . .

Wereferret 05-09-2010 11:25 PM

I'm the *other* Coastie on your boards here, still active duty but finishing up a two year graduate program at the University of Washington in Seattle in Marine Affairs, so essentially a little two year break from the uniform and general responsibility. I'm headed this summer to Charleston, S.C. to a Fisheries Enforcement Training Center that covers the mid-Atlantic region (and very happy, Charleston is a GREAT town). I'm at heart a marine biology/fisheries nerd, but it does occasionally pay off with cool adventures (tagging Salmon Sharks in Alaska and living on a pristine beach for two weeks in an Mexican reserve studying coral with 17 female co-ed grad students!)

Prior to that its been all ships, first a high-endurance cutter (similar to a frigate) out of Seattle doing alternating counter drug trips down near Columbia and Ecuador and fisheries patrols up in the Bering Sea. Then a patrol boat in Bahrain, doing critical infrastructure defense in Iraq and training IQ Navy/Marines, and counter piracy in Iraq and Horn of Africa. Then I was lucky enough to command a little patrol boat with a great crew in, of all places my hometown of Corpus Christi, TX.

I got into T2K recently and play with some of my fiancee's friends and a couple army buddies from high school. Enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the diversity of backgrounds. Thanks to everyone who served during our previous wars and highly uncertain times in our recent past.

- Brandon

Rapparee 11-10-2010 05:18 AM

FNG...

Another FNG here lads! Couldn't resist making my first post here!

I'm a weekend warrior, student by day and in the Irish Reserve Defence Forces as part of the Medical Corp in the Southern Brigade. Pretty handy for me since my company's based in Limerick, around five miles from where I go to college, studying English and History after a tenure in Business and German. The way its going, I've the next four years in the Reserve to look forward to at least and its a fair bit of craic so I find! Thanks to the international recession, I've been capped as a 2star private, just waiting for the economy to pick up before we finally get our full qualifications!

Still its interesting. My unit seems comprised of either out-of shape wannabes or else obnoxious know-it-alls, but then again, this is the reserve. We generally get parcelled out to units on exercise according to our fitness so being scarcely two decades old and quite a spring chicken, I'm always with the infantry. I'm meant to be assigned to a section, but due to manpower constraints, usually find myself with an unexpected promotion to platoon medic which causes some friction with section commanders who find themselves equal to a jumped up private!:D

Only been in it a year, but since I've the basics out of the way, hope to get granted my Ambulance Skills and courses done over the next two summers (EFR to EMT standard). Until then, I'm relegated to carrying the basic medical kit and taking turns muling the GPMG around the place!:xyxgun:

T2K and T2K13, I only discovered in the last year or two (product of the dying months of '89, my apolagies mo chairde!) and have been trying to hook my ad hoc group of gamers towards it. They're generally a D&D crowd(which I've grown out of!) and nWoD so I've started reeling them towards it with a game of CoC, then a Delta Green campaign set in Vietnam and then hopefully, onward to T2K! Wish me luck!

Fág an Beallach!

P.S. Its interesting to hear the experiences of the servicemen from different countries here. One of the guys I climb with just finished up 12 years in the Bundeswehr and is back to college, studying over here. While there might be differences, the bullshit seems to be the same everywhere!:D

TiggerCCW UK 11-10-2010 07:54 AM

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see another Irish man on here, even if you are at the opposite end of the country:)

Targan 11-10-2010 09:23 AM

Good to have you join us Rapparee. Welcome to the forum.

Rapparee 11-11-2010 11:52 AM

Haha serious?!

Pretty deascent! Aye I do be a Munster man but its good to hear theres a fellow countryman interested in this game! Cheers for the welcome lads, good to hear!

Abbott Shaull 02-09-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseSoldier (Post 22178)
I've seen some wind meters held inside the back of a humvee ambulance to determine that winds were zero on the DZ. What the guys coming in on the jump actually experienced might have varied . . .

You mean that wasn't standard SOP for using the wind meter...lol

Abbott Shaull 02-09-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Little belated congrats...

pmulcahy11b 02-12-2011 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull (Post 31072)
You mean that wasn't standard SOP for using the wind meter...lol

It's kind of like putting the wet-bulb hygrometer over the ice water bag...

dragoon500ly 02-12-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 31100)
It's kind of like putting the wet-bulb hygrometer over the ice water bag...

That was when they were still running two miles in NBC suits and protective masks...in the middle of a Fort Benning summer!