RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Damocles, Project File 002 (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=3238)

dragoon500ly 11-26-2011 08:09 AM

Damocles, Project File 002

Overall, this is a fair module, it tries to follow the simplicity of Riverton but places the team against an intelligent computer. I've never been able to shake the impression that the writer may have watched "2001" before sitting down to write this one. :rolleyes:

The only real beef that I have is with the Damocles Compound itself. H.N. Voss goes on to write about how important Damocles is, including the decision to have the machine control the U.S. nuclear arsenal. This makes Damocles a key asset of DOD. NORAD HQ was built under a mountain and has a nearby army base to provide protection. Damocles is built in the UP of Michigan and is defended by four .50-caliber turrets and four tank-sized Mobile Defense Units, as well as a thin minefield. Talk about a wonderful target for a Special Forces strike!!!

In every game that this module has been played, I have never seen a team take less than 30 minutes to destroy the outer defenses, breach the door, and starting entering the levels. The Internal Defense Units were a surprise, but rapidly fell prey to the team. Only the lasers on the power level stopped a team, and even then it was only for a few moments.

While being the first to admit that the DOD spends its money in some incredibly stupid ways, Damocles and above all its defenses, strike me as having been designed by the village idiot.

ArmySGT. 11-26-2011 12:56 PM

Hmmm anyone ever had the Team by pass the MDU?

That little bit with the big robot tank eating a snowmobile is supposed to intrigue the Team.

Secondly did anyones Team tell the Local "tough luck, sorry bout dat" and then follow the MDU back to Damocles?

More effort was placed in fleshing out the Village and the Encounters. The "Cons" could have been fleshed out more. Give the Team a second Mission effort there.

The Team Mission brief is weak. "Hey go look around, Remember the Directive".
Why is a small scale Team with a mission to scout so much Geographic area reporting this all the way back to Prime Base? Which is completely out of the Teams radio range to Transmit to. The Team should be wondering where their Combined Group Leader is, with strange activity on Isle Royale, the Teams first priority would be to link up with other Teams.

Damocles. Ok the cliched Sentient Computer. Nicely this one is grudgingly cooperative, once all his other options are taken away. No damn way would I as Team Leader rely on that thing, let alone hook it up to remnants of the US DoD infrastructure. Is it Hal 900, Skynet, or Robbie the Robot?

Why isn't there a Snake Eater Team or other "Frozen" asset in the area to do something about a "Compromised" Damocles, or a berzerk one?

The maps........ like the other Maps in the modules, damn near worthless.

The Vehicles.................. Some planner needs kicked in the nuts if the XR-311 was thought to be a good fit. Duh Team Members freezing to death is not a good idea. A V-150 APC or better a Bov 206 SUSV.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ject/bv206.jpg

Snow shoes but not Snow skis or Sledge for dismounted look around?

If they are a non Standard Team not operating with other Teams why do they have a Standard radio? Why not in addition a long range AM Radio? Would not affect Canon much at all as there is no one else (friendly) to talk to.

No Soviets? This is a great modules to introduce some Soviets! Make the Team paranoid about what that facility with the gun mounts might be. Remnants of a Soviet Airborne, GRU (LR Recon), or Spetnaz unit that has married local and taken some of the cons to bolster their ranks. Maybe they have been resupplied after 150 years? Maybe they are in communication with Soviet Command structure remnants in the Urals.

The Damocles base. An elevator shaft? That is the sole entrance? Only one elevator shaft too. Really. Nothing must ever break, like say a elevator winch motor, or car cable breaks. Stairs. There should be stairs. Doesn't mean they door at the surface is weak, the DoD has lots of experience making missile silo crew doors.

The Damocles base were are the connections to the outside world? How did the phones connect to call the Pentagon? Satellite phone? Data cables?

Where is the supply and support section? The Motor Pool is the gound level, and the Fusion plant is in the basement. Where is water treatment? Sewerage? Power distribution to other areas?

The road that leads to the Main Gate. What former roads and highways does this join too?

mikeo80 11-27-2011 07:53 AM

ArmySgt:

These are good questions you have raised. Let me see if I can answer based on times I have played Damocles.

1) Damocles out by itself....to me, no brainer.

2) Communications: Could be low frequency, buried cable, heck, even satellite. IIRC, there is commo as part of environmental sensors.

3) No support team: I see what you are saying, but there is the other side of the coin:

(Picture if you will, a KGB officer and his control)

"Yes, sir, a platoon of US Army SF in the middle of Michigan. Yes, sir. No visible base. Yes, sir, the USSF are stationed Around the structures you see pictured here....." :p

Now a FROZEN SF force....that could be NASTY!!!! Wakes up upon first alert from Damocles. Soon as team crosses mine field, or starts shooting support towers, or other wise makes a nuisance of self. By the time team penetrates entrance bunker, there is a 12 man A-Team ready, willing and ABLE to stop you.

REALLY,REALLY NASTY: SF wakes when MRU destroyed....Damocles has instant link to MRU, Damocles KNOWS this is built on M60, knows (probably to last decimal place) how much force needed to destroy MRU, so that IF MRU stops transmitting that abrupt, like a TOW or Armbrust into the guts of MRU, even if team can pull this off without observation....SF Team wakes up.

4) Sewer, water, etc. The base was not designed for permanent occupancy. Programers, techs, etc in and out as needed. This can be glossed over, I think.

My $0.02

Mike

dragoon500ly 11-27-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeo80 (Post 41928)
ArmySgt:

These are good questions you have raised. Let me see if I can answer based on times I have played Damocles.

Arguments can be made both ways, but sooner or later Damocles is going to be connected to the defense network, it would simply be better, from a security point of view, if he is placed somewhere other than UP.

Quote:

2) Communications: Could be low frequency, buried cable, heck, even satellite. IIRC, there is commo as part of environmental sensors.
Its actually a simple fix, just add a commo package to the Damocles tower.

Quote:

3) No support team: I see what you are saying, but there is the other side of the coin:

"Yes, sir, a platoon of US Army SF in the middle of Michigan. Yes, sir. No visible base. Yes, sir, the USSF are stationed Around the structures you see pictured here....." :p

Now a FROZEN SF force....that could be NASTY!!!! Wakes up upon first alert from Damocles. Soon as team crosses mine field, or starts shooting support towers, or other wise makes a nuisance of self. By the time team penetrates entrance bunker, there is a 12 man A-Team ready, willing and ABLE to stop you.

REALLY,REALLY NASTY: SF wakes when MRU destroyed....Damocles has instant link to MRU, Damocles KNOWS this is built on M60, knows (probably to last decimal place) how much force needed to destroy MRU, so that IF MRU stops transmitting that abrupt, like a TOW or Armbrust into the guts of MRU, even if team can pull this off without observation....SF Team wakes up.
The players of my next game are already cursing your name!!!! :D

Quote:

4) Sewer, water, etc. The base was not designed for permanent occupancy. Programers, techs, etc in and out as needed. This can be glossed over, I think.
Another simple fix, simply add an additional room on the power level for the pump and air equipment

mikeo80 11-27-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoon500ly (Post 41934)
The players of my next game are already cursing your name!!!! :D

Thank you, dragoon500!! What better way to be a Gm then to have another GM your little idea!!!

My $0.02

Mike

mikeo80 11-27-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoon500ly (Post 41934)
Arguments can be made both ways, but sooner or later Damocles is going to be connected to the defense network, it would simply be better, from a security point of view, if he is placed somewhere other than UP.

IMHO, not really. You have Cheyene Mountain, Col. Instant communications to ALL missle command bases and ALL SAC bases and through low freq, communications to Posidon and Trident Missle Boats. IF you play BIG BANG is in 1987, there is communications to and from Cheyene to Looking Glass air craft.

You also have instant communications from POTUS to Cheyene, you have instant communications from DEW line and other sensor arrays in northern Alaska and Northern Canada. There is instant access to whatever satellites were available in 1987.

I just do not see Damocles being in UP as that big a problem.

My $0.02

Mike

ArmySGT. 11-27-2011 02:58 PM

He he he

Did anyone have their Team come outside to a 1/2 canabalized vehicle crawling with Maintenance Units?

"Uh oh, Damocles ate our Auto Nav!"

dragoon500ly 11-27-2011 03:24 PM

Usually the teams blow in the MDU bunker doors and fed the beasts Armbursts....

ArmySGT. 11-27-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

ArmySgt:

My $0.02

Mike

There is a Base or was a Base in the Vicinity.
K.I. Sawyer AFB.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...toKISawyer.jpg

I personally Group the Army SF Units under a broad Project title "Project Philippines" . Project Philippines personnel were to form Militia and Insurgent groups to counter any incursions by Warsaw Pact units.

The one I am blue skying for the Air Force is "Project Aftershock". A mixed unit of Air Commandos and Services personnel meant to restart DoD, Air Force, and National Command Authority communications through secondary and tertiary sites. As well as "Black" or off the books, not officially funded sites.

Like MP and Snake Eaters, they don't know the locations of all their assets or personnel. The computer spits out an automated Contingency plan and other materials on a as needed / need to know basis.

There is a Recon / Security element that looks over a site and makes an assessment, then brings in the Technicians and support personnel. The Security element then guards them.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...yerAFBtopo.jpg

Philippines was chosen as that was the U.S. Military's first Insurgency of the 20th Century.

mikeo80 12-19-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmySGT. (Post 41939)
He he he

Did anyone have their Team come outside to a 1/2 canabalized vehicle crawling with Maintenance Units?

"Uh oh, Damocles ate our Auto Nav!"

I LOVE IT!!!

Never thought of it before, but if the team looks over Damocles, then withdraws to plan, Damocles could have detected the fusion drive, the kevlar/composite/sandwiched armor of the MP vehicle....

And He wants a piece of the action!!!! :D

Next time I have a chance to run Damocles, this little gem goes into my GM bag of tricks...

Thanks ArmySGT!!!!

My $0.02

Mike

ArmySGT. 12-19-2011 05:22 PM

Excellent.

Imagine Damocles with an Operable Morrow Project Auto Nav is his possession.

ArmySGT. 12-19-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Mike

That can be explained. Damocles is in the state he is in because of the wargames software. Presumably the "Frozen SF Team" which is "Out of Play" for the test scenario and it would be unlikely the Scientists would be made aware of the Teams existence. The scientists would be lead to believe the Bots are the only security. So "Asset A" has remained frozen for 150 years, until Damocles is reset and damage alarms signal the "Asset A" cryotubes to awaken their sleepers.

Want to be even more vicious? It is not an SF Team at all. Dun dun DUN. It is civilian cryosleep researchers who have volunteered to test the long endurance cryosleep system for Damocles support staff and guardians. Yep, no weapon skills, no survival skills, and certainly unprepared to wake up 150 years after Ragnarok.

ArmySGT. 10-30-2013 08:06 PM

So what can Damocles do with a network?

In "Ruins of Chicago" there is the possibility of Damocles interfacing with the University through the former computer sciences lab. If the Uni factions can be brought under control.

In "Operation Lucifer" one option is that Damocles gives the Team, or awakens another Team by brute force extensive broadcasting of Morrow Project wakeup signals. The Team or the awoken team is given the coordinates for a the one that came down but was a dud.

In "Operation Lonestar" there is some hints that with the Morrowsat made active that Damocles can become the commo link for the Morrow assets that have been awakened.

That last part is interesting, because it can be Damocles that is now awakening Teams. The downside is Damocles has to spam the airwaves or ELF with hundreds of messages. All of which can be triangulated back.
  • Hostile assets such as the KFS could be moving on Damocles
  • Soviet cryosleep cells awakened and moving on Damocles
  • Snake eater teams awakened and moving on Damocles
  • Other U.S. assets in place against a rogue Damocles shoot a missile at Damocles
  • Soviet systems like "Dead Hand" could activate and fire on the now active "U.S. C2 cell"
  • A "New Presidency" could be moving on Damocles to further cement their "legitimacy".

.45cultist 03-12-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmySGT. (Post 41885)
Hmmm anyone ever had the Team by pass the MDU?

That little bit with the big robot tank eating a snowmobile is supposed to intrigue the Team.

Secondly did anyones Team tell the Local "tough luck, sorry bout dat" and then follow the MDU back to Damocles?

More effort was placed in fleshing out the Village and the Encounters. The "Cons" could have been fleshed out more. Give the Team a second Mission effort there.

The Team Mission brief is weak. "Hey go look around, Remember the Directive".
Why is a small scale Team with a mission to scout so much Geographic area reporting this all the way back to Prime Base? Which is completely out of the Teams radio range to Transmit to. The Team should be wondering where their Combined Group Leader is, with strange activity on Isle Royale, the Teams first priority would be to link up with other Teams.

Damocles. Ok the cliched Sentient Computer. Nicely this one is grudgingly cooperative, once all his other options are taken away. No damn way would I as Team Leader rely on that thing, let alone hook it up to remnants of the US DoD infrastructure. Is it Hal 900, Skynet, or Robbie the Robot?

Why isn't there a Snake Eater Team or other "Frozen" asset in the area to do something about a "Compromised" Damocles, or a berzerk one?

The maps........ like the other Maps in the modules, damn near worthless.

The Vehicles.................. Some planner needs kicked in the nuts if the XR-311 was thought to be a good fit. Duh Team Members freezing to death is not a good idea. A V-150 APC or better a Bov 206 SUSV.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ject/bv206.jpg

Snow shoes but not Snow skis or Sledge for dismounted look around?

If they are a non Standard Team not operating with other Teams why do they have a Standard radio? Why not in addition a long range AM Radio? Would not affect Canon much at all as there is no one else (friendly) to talk to.

No Soviets? This is a great modules to introduce some Soviets! Make the Team paranoid about what that facility with the gun mounts might be. Remnants of a Soviet Airborne, GRU (LR Recon), or Spetnaz unit that has married local and taken some of the cons to bolster their ranks. Maybe they have been resupplied after 150 years? Maybe they are in communication with Soviet Command structure remnants in the Urals.

The Damocles base. An elevator shaft? That is the sole entrance? Only one elevator shaft too. Really. Nothing must ever break, like say a elevator winch motor, or car cable breaks. Stairs. There should be stairs. Doesn't mean they door at the surface is weak, the DoD has lots of experience making missile silo crew doors.

The Damocles base were are the connections to the outside world? How did the phones connect to call the Pentagon? Satellite phone? Data cables?

Where is the supply and support section? The Motor Pool is the gound level, and the Fusion plant is in the basement. Where is water treatment? Sewerage? Power distribution to other areas?

The road that leads to the Main Gate. What former roads and highways does this join too?

The army's experimental M116 would have been another nice fit.

ArmySGT. 03-14-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .45cultist (Post 58566)
The army's experimental M116 would have been another nice fit.

M116 Husky

M116 Husky Prototype video

BV 206 video

.45cultist 03-15-2014 06:41 PM

A nice special vehicle from certain depots for the teams.

ArmySGT. 03-18-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .45cultist (Post 58603)
A nice special vehicle from certain depots for the teams.

I am going to stick with the BV 206. It was adopted by many armed forces including the U.S. Army and Marine Corps. That means stats are available and pictures!

Also it would be recognized by U.S. and Canadian forces as a NATO vehicle. This reduces the chances of being fired upon.

The M116 is a valid possibility. The MP does use vehicles that were not adopted or made in limited quantities.

ArmySGT. 03-27-2014 05:32 PM

Just had a wicked thought.

The Morrow Project fusion power plant is the key that Damocles has been waiting for, even better if the Team has a fusion pack in their possession too. Damocles could even send bots to retrieve one from a Team cache if he accesses the autonav.

This unties Damocles drones from the Damocles facility itself. The MDUs, maintenance units, the recon units, and the IDUs are all battery powered.

Damocles might just rebuild some units with fusion power plants, as soon as he can assemble a plant to make Helium 3 or other fusion fuel.

The Damocles might be off to seek National Command Authority himself. To build links and re-establish connection to other DoD assets or DARPA funded research centers.

Within a year, Damocles could be a "Skynet" level dangerous.

Bots taking over the computer lab at the Chicago campus.

Bots on the way to seize Houston.

ArmySGT. 05-28-2014 11:04 AM

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...oject/M973.png

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ect/M973-2.png

PURPOSE: Provide Infantry Platoon combat support in arctic, harsh terrain and
mountainous regions (northern regions of Alaska/Europe).

GENERAL INFORMATION
Nomenclature: CARRIER, CARGO,
TRACKED: 1 l/2-Ton, Small Unit Support
Vehicle (SUSV)
Model Number: M973
NSN: 2350-01-132-9099
LIN: C11280
SSN: D19001
TM: Commercial

CHARACTERISTICS
Engine: Daimler Benz-Model OM617A
Type: Four stroke, 5 cyl Diesel
Horsepower: 125 bhp @ 4,350 rpm
Transmission: Daimler Benz Model W4A
Type: Automatic Daimler Benz W4A-018
Ranges: Fwd 4, Rev 1
Electrical System: 24 Volt
Brakes: Disc, All four tracks

PERFORMANCE DATA
Fording Depth: Floats
Approach Angle: 34 Degrees
Maximum Grade Ability: 31 Degrees
Maximum Vertical Obstacle: 12 in Minimum
Maximum Side Slope: 35 Degrees
Allowable Speed: 31 mph
Cruising Range: 200 miles
Ground Pressure: 1.8 psi

VEHICLE DATA
Type Classification & Date: M973, 5 Nov, 1982
Life Expectancy: 15 Years
Payload: 4,400 lb (2,000 kg)
Air Transportability: Helicopter Delivery,
Military Aircraft, C130

EQUIPMENT OPTIONS
Armament: None
Ammunition: None
Communications: AN/VRC-46, -47, -48, -49
AN/GRC-160
Sighting & Fire Control:
SHIPPING DATA
Weight: 9,200 lb (4,200 kg)
Cube: 1,080 cu ft
Ground Clearance: 13.8 in (loaded)

ArmySGT. 08-16-2014 02:02 PM

Here is a thought.

Damocles.

Damocles has been made aware of the Morrow Project activation codes (Operation Lucifer assumes a successful Operation Damocles).

Damocles is a DoD asset (aka a U.S. Government one) and presumably able to access the confidential files of the "Snake Eater" program.

What if Damocles begins the whole scale activation of the SOF teams? Damocles is essentially held hostage by the Morrow Project, so wouldn't he activate the assets meant to control or eliminate the Morrow Project?

stormlion1 08-16-2014 05:21 PM

That, that is an awesome idea right there. Damocles wouldn't be happy about a new group moving in, especially one that is not a US Government approved one. Waking a few Snake Eater teams and somehow giving them orders to push the Morrow Teams out would cause a huge issue for an operating Morrow Team. And the Snake Eater teams would also do it because it would give them a home base to operate out of as well.

ArmySGT. 08-18-2014 08:36 AM

What capabilities could Damocles posses after the Team mission? The reset takes him out of simulation mode. What kind of capability does he have now that he is 100%?

mmartin798 08-18-2014 02:07 PM

I will have to re-read the pertinent parts of the manual again, but my gut says you end up with a fast computer, a pretty smart AI, lots of storage, a fusion reactor with lots of fuel, a history of the war, a powerful radio transceiver, and a potential nexus for a base. I do not believe that Damocles would have real codes to use. It was in testing. You give it some codes that are keyed as tests and would not activate strategic forces.
Consider that RSA was an emerging encryption standard and didn't really get confidence behind it until the 1990's. The standard for encryption prior for real security was one-time pads. You cannot break a message encoded that way without the corresponding pad. Therefore it doesn't matter how fast or remarkable Damocles is, without access to the pad Damocles cannot raise real forces. Though security forces in the area might be able to be activated for self defense. But those are not strategic forces.
So clear some trees and start building barracks around it and you have a cool base.

stormlion1 08-18-2014 09:30 PM

The base was a test bed more than anything else but it did have workshops to build drones if I remember correctly and it did have a link with the DoD. While that link might be dead completely it is possible that it could still connect to other systems once they have been refurbished and powered back up. Beyond that, its a bunker complex.

ArmySGT. 08-20-2014 02:00 PM

Damocles has that complete virtual reality design lab. The laser hologram system where anything can be designed (the next gen nuclear warheads was one thing being worked on).

Damocles has a garage and some tools, so he doesn't have a manufacturing facility, only the ability to cannibalize anything.

So depending upon what the Team hauls back or loses control of........

A Commando scout? The fusion bottle from a XR-311 placed into a MDU hull to power the batteries?

The contents of the six caches to re-arm the internal defense units.

A fusion power block to make a recon drone out of the snow mobile?

The Auto Nav and Comms ..... Damocles can spoof other MP units and direct them away from the area or awaken Snake Eaters and direct them to MP units.

RandyT0001 08-20-2014 02:23 PM

I do not think the snake eaters are going to obey orders given from a computer no matter how smart or sentient it is once they become aware of that fact.

ArmySGT. 08-20-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyT0001 (Post 60854)
I do not think the snake eaters are going to obey orders given from a computer no matter how smart or sentient it is once they become aware of that fact.

I agree. However, as a powerful surviving DoD asset I can see them taking the facility away from the Morrow Project. By force if necessary.

RandyT0001 08-20-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmySGT. (Post 60855)
I agree. However, as a powerful surviving DoD asset I can see them taking the facility away from the Morrow Project. By force if necessary.

I doubt the Morrow team would fight for it if a bona fide SF team showed up. Once the Morrow team explains their purpose the teams would probably cooperate with Morrow doing more civilian tasks while the SF team deals with defense and threats. The two team leaders would coordinate activities with the SF leader in overall command. I doubt that the MP leader would object since the Morrow Project was designed to supplement and augment government forces after the war anyway. IMO

stormlion1 08-20-2014 09:09 PM

It comes down to what the occupying force does when confronted. Fight or flee or talk. And we all know at least half of all groups will fight. And Snake Eaters aren't noted as team players so I doubt they would want to work alongside a non government force.
My money is if the do talk the Snake Eaters will order the Morrow Team out and fortify Damocles for themselves and use the base to operate from and try to find other Snake Eater outfits that might be out there then perform there main mission, other than keep an eye on those pesky Morrow Project, to aid the people of the United States rebuild.

ArmySGT. 04-10-2017 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Damocles main defense unit or heavy reclamation platform?

Attachment 3898