RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Greener Harpoon Stat Question: (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=5523)

.45cultist 10-11-2017 02:05 PM

Greener Harpoon Stat Question:

How would one stat the Greener Harpoon Gun( as used in "Jaws")? As a .38 special carbine with a rifle grenade? Once again a C&D, DC item one can use in Twilight 2000 V2/2.2. Any help is appreciated.

copeab 10-11-2017 03:27 PM

This Forgotten Weapons video may help, unless it's where you got the idea ;)

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/gre...one-from-jaws/

.45cultist 10-12-2017 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copeab (Post 75794)
This Forgotten Weapons video may help, unless it's where you got the idea ;)

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/gre...one-from-jaws/

I've got the stats of the weapon, the blank and harpoon. Just wondered how to do it.

StainlessSteelCynic 10-12-2017 05:50 AM

I'm trying to remember, were there ever any rules regarding grappling hooks & launchers at all? That might be a basis to work on perhaps?

.45cultist 10-12-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic (Post 75808)
I'm trying to remember, were there ever any rules regarding grappling hooks & launchers at all? That might be a basis to work on perhaps?

That's what I'm hoping for and I believe there are rifle grenade rules in F,F&S.

copeab 10-12-2017 01:44 PM

I thought they were rifle grenade roles in v2.

StainlessSteelCynic 10-21-2017 09:29 PM

I was looking through the Merc: 2000 book and while it lists a grappling hook, it is hand thrown and the rules are very basic. It counts as a 2kg object for the purposes of throwing (because it has rope attached, thus making it 2kg instead of 1kg). Based on that I figured the closest rifle grenade type weapon would be the 140mm RAW listed in the main book but there doesn't seem to be any special rules associated with that, it's treated as a normal rifle grenade.

Which leads me to the conclusion that, barring any alternate rules we might come up with, the only way the "normal" rules would handle a harpoon gun is to treat it like a grenade launcher with some attention paid to the attached rope (perhaps making the task resolution another stage more difficult?)

.45cultist 10-22-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic (Post 76070)
I was looking through the Merc: 2000 book and while it lists a grappling hook, it is hand thrown and the rules are very basic. It counts as a 2kg object for the purposes of throwing (because it has rope attached, thus making it 2kg instead of 1kg). Based on that I figured the closest rifle grenade type weapon would be the 140mm RAW listed in the main book but there doesn't seem to be any special rules associated with that, it's treated as a normal rifle grenade.

Which leads me to the conclusion that, barring any alternate rules we might come up with, the only way the "normal" rules would handle a harpoon gun is to treat it like a grenade launcher with some attention paid to the attached rope (perhaps making the task resolution another stage more difficult?)

I was going for basic range and damage then use then figure the line ranges.

StainlessSteelCynic 10-22-2017 10:11 AM

Sorry that that's not much help :(
I couldn't see anything in the books that even comes close to replicating any sort of line-thrower or harpoon gun. Even the one thing I thought would certainly have some kind of special rule, the 140mm RAW, is treated as basically a rifle grenade and thus comes under Heavy Weapons skill and the usual indirect fire deviation rules etc. etc.
Nothing there seems to come close to usable for working out game specifics for the particular characteristics of a line-thrower/harpoon gun.

.45cultist 10-22-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic (Post 76077)
Sorry that that's not much help :(
I couldn't see anything in the books that even comes close to replicating any sort of line-thrower or harpoon gun. Even the one thing I thought would certainly have some kind of special rule, the 140mm RAW, is treated as basically a rifle grenade and thus comes under Heavy Weapons skill and the usual indirect fire deviation rules etc. etc.
Nothing there seems to come close to usable for working out game specifics for the particular characteristics of a line-thrower/harpoon gun.

I think crossbow when using harpoons, carbine with normal .38 special ammo.

mpipes 10-22-2017 12:35 PM

I think Merc:2000 had a line thrower in the equipment lists.

swaghauler 10-22-2017 01:37 PM

"Stating" Short-Ranged Weapons

I saw this post and thought you might like the method I used to deal with weapons that have very short ranges but need to use the 4 range bands in Twilight2000 in combat. I use this system for the following weapons/attacks:

1) Lobbed Weapons: Such weapons include hand grenades and thrown nets.
2) Thrown Weapons: Includes knives, tomahawks, javelins, fine china and other "direct fire" thrown weapons. It also includes directly thrown grenades (in order to hit windows or doorways).
3) Projected RIFLE grenades (but not grenade launchers), shotguns firing "beanbag" rounds and grapple guns.
4) Tasers
5) Blowguns
6) Flamethrowers

All of these weapons have very short ranges but need to use the range bands in combat.

To do the ranges, you just divide the weapon's maximum range by 4 to get Short Range. You then ADD the range bands INSTEAD of doubling them. To differentiate an ADDED Range from a DOUBLED Range, I always put an added range band in brackets like so... [#]. This way everyone knows to ADD those range bands.
For an example; an Energa Rifle Grenade with a maximum range of 120 meters would have a [30m] Short Range, [60m] Medium Range, [90m] Long Range, and a [120m] Extreme Range. A TASER would be [2m],[4m],[6m],[8m] in use. On the ID card, Ranges would just be written [30m] or [2m] with the understanding that you add additional Range Bands.

So your Greener with a maximum range of approximately 30 meters (I would increase it to 32m for ease of division) would have a Short Range of [8m], a Medium Range of [16m], a Long Range of [24m], and an Extreme Range of [32m]. The .38 blank it uses SEEMS to be identical to the cartridges used to fire howitzers.

You could also equip them with the single-shot 12 gauge line launching shotgun that the Navy uses on their ships. It has ranges of [25m], [50m], [75m], and [100m] and can fire signal flares and even standard shotgun rounds when the line launcher is unscrewed from the gun.

StainlessSteelCynic 10-22-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpipes (Post 76081)
I think Merc:2000 had a line thrower in the equipment lists.

I had a look through the M2k book and there was nothing in there.
However... I completely forgot to check the Special Operations book - so thanks for the prompt! :D

Just checked, there's nothing in the SpecOps book either :(

unkated 10-31-2017 01:46 PM

Greener Light Harpoon Gun (1965)

(Based on what data I could find)

Specially-made light harpoon gun (see movie Jaws) to spear large fish with a barbed harpoon attached to a line (300-lb test by default, can be heavier). The line is (pre-)loaded on a pair of posts attached under the barrel, connected to the dart. Not designed to kill fish (or people), just to stick in and hold. Modified Martini mechanism loads .38 Spc blank; when fired, it drives 1-lb dart, with the line trailing. The end of the line can be attached to something else (such as a barrel in Jaws).

Weight (unloaded): 3.18 kg
Bulk: 5
Range: 7.5m (Eff range 30m)

RoF: SS
Dam: Special: 1-2 pts damage, and barb sticks in (unarmored flesh) target.
Pen: 1-Nil
Recoil: 2
RoF: 2 combat rounds to reload

Can be pulled out by Str 7 applied to shaft (need a Willpower roll to pull out one stuck in you, as well as appropriate reach - you cannot pull one out of the middle of your own back.) Causes 3-4 pts more damage when pulled out (to same location, of course).

So, how far can you run with three barrels in you? ;)

Uncle Ted

.45cultist 10-31-2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unkated (Post 76260)
Greener Light Harpoon Gun (1965)

(Based on what data I could find)

Specially-made light harpoon gun (see movie Jaws) to spear large fish with a barbed harpoon attached to a line (300-lb test by default, can be heavier). Not designed to kill fish (or people), just to stick in and hold. Modified Martini mechanism loads .38 Spc blank; when fired, it drives 1-lb dart.

Weight (unloaded): 3.18 kg
Bulk: 5
Range: 7.5m (Eff range 30m)
RoF: SS
Dam: Special: 1-2 pts damage, and barb sticks in (unarmored flesh) target.
Pen: 1-Nil
Recoil: 2
RoF: 2 combat rounds to reload

Can be pulled out by Str 7 applied to shaft (need a Willpower roll to pull out one stuck in you, as well as appropriate reach - you cannot pull one out of the middle of your own back.) Causes 3-4 pts more damage when pulled out (to same location, of course).

So, how far can you run with three barrels in you? ;)

Uncle Ted

Thanks, my brain was fogged up on this one.