RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Flag, The Flag! (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=4559)

RandyT0001 08-30-2014 01:00 PM

The Flag, The Flag! plus more

2 Attachment(s)
What do you think of the flag I designed for a political entity in my game?
Not sure if I got the Latin correct for what I think it says:

Always Vigilant
Always Prepared
Always Free
Always Learning
Always Strong
Nostrum terra est in medius of regio – Our country is in the middle of the region (It is a reference to the physical location of the Republic, a democracy effectively surrounded by anarchy and tyrannical city-states and nations.)

The White Eagle on the left of the flag is also the emblem used on government owned vehicles. On dark backgrounds just the white eagle silhouette is used. On light backgrounds the eagle is on a black background. (I'm also including a page from the vehicle book, a work still in progress, for the entity.)

mmartin798 08-30-2014 07:39 PM

Just curious if there is an intentional USCG association.

ArmySGT. 08-30-2014 07:42 PM

Flags are symbols.

So probably a symbol to represent each of those meanings.

The post-Apoc world is probably illiterate let alone knowledgeable of Latin.

RandyT0001 08-30-2014 08:33 PM

MMartin798,
The is no intended connection to the USCG. The Republic is hundreds of miles from the seas and oceans.

ArmySGT,
I thought about using symbols for each element. I still might include some in the Official Presidential Seal or for the Assembly. But I will have to find some clip art or graphics that I like first.

There are probably thousands of people knowledgeable of what Latin is and hundreds that are literate. Emdees are one group that still probably use Latin even in a post-Apoc world.

It really depends on the setting. Me? I believe that there should be Yang for Ying, Khan for Kirk, negative for positive, reaction for action, etc.

bobcat 08-31-2014 12:15 PM

i like it. i'm still trying to figure out some kind of flag/motto for a rather OP settlement in my game.

ArmySGT. 08-31-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyT0001 (Post 60952)
MMartin798,
The is no intended connection to the USCG. The Republic is hundreds of miles from the seas and oceans.

ArmySGT,
I thought about using symbols for each element. I still might include some in the Official Presidential Seal or for the Assembly. But I will have to find some clip art or graphics that I like first.

There are probably thousands of people knowledgeable of what Latin is and hundreds that are literate. Emdees are one group that still probably use Latin even in a post-Apoc world.

It really depends on the setting. Me? I believe that there should be Yang for Ying, Khan for Kirk, negative for positive, reaction for action, etc.

Emdees might........... Their knowledge is five generations removed from the original Doctor. They could use the words without grasping that this is part of a larger language. I have taken medical terminology at my local community college (on the way to a new degree), while we learned (rote) alot of pre-fixes, suffixes, and combining words not the verbs or conjugations for things that are not strictly anatomical.

As for symbols, some Heraldric (Chivalry) websites. Examples of symbology abound for each of those meanings. Probably a bunch in .gif format.