RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is your T2K up to date? (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=5634)

ChalkLine 03-31-2018 06:56 PM

Is your T2K up to date?

When you play T2k now do you set it in 2000 or 2018?

Adm.Lee 03-31-2018 09:52 PM

2000; I'm comfortable keeping the game as an alternate history.

I've been noodling about setting it in late-80s or early-90s, but not enough to actually do it.

Ewan 04-01-2018 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adm.Lee (Post 77659)
I've been noodling about setting it in late-80s or early-90s, but not enough to actually do it.

I've been toying with a 1985 setting, classic Cold War WW3.

ChalkLine 04-01-2018 02:40 AM

I have to admit I play set in today's world. The sheer prevalence of drones is going to make war even more different.

StainlessSteelCynic 04-01-2018 03:15 AM

In the early 1990s, GDW put forward their Armor 21 role-playing game in which the world's population was getting too big and natural resources were getting too scarce, not simply oil but clean water & arable land too.
The outline proposed various new technologies and upgraded or new-design vehicles, aircraft, weapons systems, communications and so on, everything you would expect from what was going to be a successor to T2k.
But even with their background in creating games with a military or tech flavour and particularly T2k, M2k and Dark Conspiracy, I don't think GDW envisaged the near ubiquity of drones in modern warfare, police and civilian use let alone the types of drones & semi-autonomous vehicles being used and the various roles they fulfill.

pmulcahy11b 04-01-2018 08:01 AM

I'm getting to where I use a modified version of T2K13's timeline, with some (sometimes major, sometimes minor) tweaks, and using the V2.2 rules set. If I have to go by T2K, I use a modified form of the v2.2 timeline and v2.2 rules.

A lot of times, I am adding appropriate parts of the timelines presented on this forum along with the T2K or T2K13 timelines. With the t2K13 timeline, it is often modified by what was going on in the world IRL 2013.

Just the direction I'm gradually going in.

TyCaine 04-01-2018 08:22 AM

Hey Paul!
Do you have your version of the T2K13 timeline available somewhere?

I have to admit I use 2.2 rules exclusively, and up until now left it in the 2000's, but I'd really like to pull it up a few years.

Not sure I'd bring it as far as current day, but would like it closer...

Raellus 04-01-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChalkLine (Post 77662)
I have to admit I play set in today's world. The sheer prevalence of drones is going to make war even more different.

If you keep the nuclear exchange in your timeline, batteries are not going to last indefinitely. Four years after production ceases, and reliable electricity is scarce, at best, and there aren't going to be many drones still flying.

I like the alternate history feel of the original v1.0 timeline. That said, if a convincing timeline bringing events up to the present time, or near future, were available, I think it would be fun to play a more up-to-date version. Again, though, with the modern battlefield much more digitized than it was back when T2K came out, nuclear exchanges would zero a lot of that fancy electronic stuff out within a couple of years.

kcdusk 04-01-2018 09:18 PM

I'm V1.0 timeline the whole way. Later rule updates made some improvements, but timeline wise V1.0 has always felt natural for me.

The only time i'll use a different timeline is to jump to "present day", to run a Merc stand-alone game.

pmulcahy11b 04-04-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyCaine (Post 77666)
Hey Paul!
Do you have your version of the T2K13 timeline available somewhere?

I have to admit I use 2.2 rules exclusively, and up until now left it in the 2000's, but I'd really like to pull it up a few years.

Not sure I'd bring it as far as current day, but would like it closer...

The changes and updates to the timeline are mostly in my head -- I've written almost nothing down at this point. (I have a lot of ideas rolling around in my head in embryonic form.)

kcdusk 04-04-2018 03:11 PM

The time line and orders of battle interest me the least in T2K. They are too strategic and big picture.

My groups (or individuals!) getting around in Europe during T2K are running into various encounters. Sometimes a 3 man team, sometimes a pack of people, other times a single weary traveller. No need to know which division they may/might have been from.

Same for time lines, i don't know how it would affect my game. Doesn't matter if the year is 1990 or china has/hasnt entered the war. For my PC's in T2K Europe, the year is just a number and the other side of the hill is mostly what matters.