RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I'm a packrat.... (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=5408)

Adm.Lee 05-11-2017 07:14 PM

I'm a packrat....

I spent a good 3 hours today going through folders full of old character sheets and session notes. I set out a lot for recycling and kept almost half.

Among the Twilight:2000 things, I (finally) labelled some folders for campaigns I've run in the past, keeping only summaries and character sheets. I was surprised that I'd written a summary for my first game, which was all of the first-series Poland modules, as they came out in 1985-86. I did keep the many pages of things I'd written for Kalisz, one page for each town, with its defenses and Pact occupiers. I think I wanted to remind myself how detail-obsessive I can be.

I set aside several pages on the US Army OoB and discrepancies with the real thing, and some posted from other sources. I'll muck with those later.

I pulled a handful of Soviet SOF characters that my brother rolled up for some game that I no longer remember. I'll be using them in a future adventure someday. I was amused to remember that they bore a passing resemblance to the Oktober Guard of the GIJoe comic books-- my bro and I collected the first 75 issues.

I had found that there were folders in different places, which is what got me onto this project today (not like I didn't have a lot of other things to do on a day off :rolleyes:). I had been looking for a piece of information that niggled at my memory, that I wanted for next month's convention game. I was surprised to find that among the old character sheets, there were two with names that I had used on the convention pre-gens. Eerie, as I thought I had come up with those out of the blue.

Olefin 05-12-2017 08:11 AM

always love when people find stuff like that - makes me feel like I am not alone in keeping old play records (I have my original Dungeons and Dragons characters from when I first played the game when I was a teen)

Always love digging out them out and seeing my old paladin Richard Olefin and my magic user Olav Svenson - and thus how I got my name of Olefin that I use for the board

Raellus 05-12-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olefin (Post 74270)
Always love digging out them out and seeing my old paladin Richard Olefin and my magic user Olav Svenson - and thus how I got my name of Olefin that I use for the board

Ha! I got Raellus from the mage I created for the Icewind Dale CRPG! I know two other people from PbPs that use old PC names as their screen-names now. And I thought I was being original!:o

The Dark 05-12-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 74272)
Ha! I got Raellus from the mage I created for the Icewind Dale CRPG! I know two other people from PbPs that use old PC names as their screen-names now. And I thought I was being original!:o

Mine comes from an old Star Wars RPG campaign, where (as a joke) we were all playing the younger siblings of movie characters. Mine was Biggs Darklighter's younger brother. Since this was also the time when White Wolf was becoming popular, I made him a bit of an emo kid who absolutely hated his last name, so he referred to himself as Smalls the Dark (I did warn you it wasn't a serious game).

Targan 05-12-2017 06:39 PM

My username comes from a character I played for 13 years (real time) in a Harnmaster campaign. He was a Harnic Sindarin, Tarquin of Clan Melfea, known among the humans as Targan the Quick. I tried really, really hard to play him faithfully as a Tolkien-style elf, but playing him left me with some lasting psychological scars. The GM in that campaign was the player of Major Po in my T2K campaign. He's a doctor of psychology in real life, and he delights in f***ing with my head when he GMs (or plays for that matter).

Cdnwolf 05-14-2017 08:43 PM

I am a computer packrat. I have over 20 gigs of PDF of everything from RPG like 1st Ed D&D to TWL2013 to board game rules so I can play games like Advanced Squad Leader or Panzer Leader on Vassal. I hate BoardGameGeek because it has so many variants and files I can download from it.

pmulcahy11b 05-28-2017 09:09 AM

I'm a packrat too; that's why scanners are so valuable to me and I have a good one. I have magazines as much as 20 years old, all my T2K and D&D stuff, various papers and other games I've come up with over the years, and all my medical and personal records; receipts, tax papers, etc. My house is only 1250 square feet, and I only keep physical copies of the most important documents.