RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Medical Screening in the Morrow Project (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=5499)

Nowhere Man 1966 09-09-2017 11:25 PM

Medical Screening in the Morrow Project
 
I tend to lurk and read but I had a thought. I know that when people join up with the Morrow Project, I'm sure they are given a battery of mental and physical tests and exams. I am 51 years old and because of my age, my doctor says that it is time to go for a colonoscopy. I'm not too keen on that but on the other hand, it is a good idea when you turn 50. For my annual physical, I also had bloodwork drawn. This got my thinking. Would members of the Morrow Project be screened like this prior to freezing to make sure they have no ailments that can compromise their mission? I think no matter if a member is 20 or 50, they would be subject to the top notch screening available for their time to make sure they are healthy and t hopefully downplay the possibility of ailments that could affect their missions. Hopefully, they would be cured of those ailments as well if possible.

I just want to toss out, what type of medical screenings would an MP member have before freezing.

RandyT0001 09-10-2017 08:15 AM

I think MP is more interested in the mental stability of their members than physical attributes. I think that people that test positive as diabetic that requires insulin injection would be rejected. Other extreme physical conditions may also disqualify a recruit.

The hardest part is the mental evaluation. It is difficult to judge how a person will react waking up five years post war (and more so 150 years post war) and face the devastation. MP has to screen for religious fanaticism. In my MP setting those that hide their fanaticism or develop religious fanaticism during training are separated from the teams and frozen in holding facilities. They are scheduled to be revived several years post recovery to minimize the possibility of one establishing a religious following as a messiah. Unfortunately, the attack on PB upset that and a few of the facilities were discovered by post war survivors several years after the war. This is the beginnings of the Frozen Chosen group.

.45cultist 09-10-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyT0001 (Post 75470)
I think MP is more interested in the mental stability of their members than physical attributes. I think that people that test positive as diabetic that requires insulin injection would be rejected. Other extreme physical conditions may also disqualify a recruit.

The hardest part is the mental evaluation. It is difficult to judge how a person will react waking up five years post war (and more so 150 years post war) and face the devastation. MP has to screen for religious fanaticism. In my MP setting those that hide their fanaticism or develop religious fanaticism during training are separated from the teams and frozen in holding facilities. They are scheduled to be revived several years post recovery to minimize the possibility of one establishing a religious following as a messiah. Unfortunately, the attack on PB upset that and a few of the facilities were discovered by post war survivors several years after the war. This is the beginnings of the Frozen Chosen group.

If your PC have the skills and pass the behavior/ mental part, your PC will get a waiver, but expect a facility assignment.

Project_Sardonicus 09-11-2017 12:31 PM

If the project has the advanced medical facilities decades ahead of contemporary science, then maybe medical screening is more about what can be fixed? Then what would exclude?

Everything from curing diabetes to replacing diseased organs with cloned ones. And bringing each member up to the highest possible level of fitness.

The mental health one is also interesting.

What would make a suitable candidate waking up in the future, with all your friends and family dead?

Perhaps a certain number of characters with sociopathic traits who wouldn't collapse or give up the Project to go home and save mom and his dog would be needed?

In real life intelligence and specforce agencies in desperate times, have recruited some truly eccentric members.

mmartin798 09-11-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project_Sardonicus (Post 75489)
If the project has the advanced medical facilities decades ahead of contemporary science, then maybe medical screening is more about what can be fixed? Then what would exclude?

Everything from curing diabetes to replacing diseased organs with cloned ones. And bringing each member up to the highest possible level of fitness.

With the exception of the nanotech-based universal antibody-antidote, TMP does not have that remarkable of medical technology. Sure the medbed is remarkable in that it can become a sterile surgical area, monitors life signs, administer medications and place someone into cryosleep, but all that is a far cry from miraculously curing diseases. The Trauma Treatment Unit, which is available from Delta Base, will save your life 40% of the time with significant scaring, 40% of the time with some significant loss of function, 10% by amputating extremities and leaving you crippled and 10% of the time is fails completely. There is no evidence in published material that TMP medical science is significantly more advanced than early 21st century medicine.

Project_Sardonicus 09-12-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmartin798 (Post 75502)
With the exception of the nanotech-based universal antibody-antidote, TMP does not have that remarkable of medical technology. Sure the medbed is remarkable in that it can become a sterile surgical area, monitors life signs, administer medications and place someone into cryosleep, but all that is a far cry from miraculously curing diseases. The Trauma Treatment Unit, which is available from Delta Base, will save your life 40% of the time with significant scaring, 40% of the time with some significant loss of function, 10% by amputating extremities and leaving you crippled and 10% of the time is fails completely. There is no evidence in published material that TMP medical science is significantly more advanced than early 21st century medicine.

There's a universal nano tech antibody/antidobte that's standard issue, the med bed can seemingly perform most of the roles of a surgeon. What's more they're portable there's 2 on every science 1 vehicle. That's without mentioning being able to freeze and defrost a fully functional human being a 150 years later, completely automatically. That's pretty remarkable I'd say.

The future of the MP is bleak enough already without taking away the project's health care!

mmartin798 09-12-2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project_Sardonicus (Post 75508)
There's a universal nano tech antibody/antidobte that's standard issue, the med bed can seemingly perform most of the roles of a surgeon. What's more they're portable there's 2 on every science 1 vehicle. That's without mentioning being able to freeze and defrost a fully functional human being a 150 years later, completely automatically. That's pretty remarkable I'd say.

The future of the MP is bleak enough already without taking away the project's health care!

The medbed does not automatically perform as a surgeon. It provides support for a surgeon and can even be used to put someone into cyrosleep if needed. But you still need a medic or doctor to take full advantage of the medbed.

Project_Sardonicus 09-13-2017 01:20 AM

Still pretty impressive and who knows what the project has frozen out there waiting to help rebuild society?

Certainly, the project would have some impressive medical procedures before the end of the world.

What the books cover is I guess just the cool stuff, to help the first contact/responder teams.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.