View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 11:31 AM

Raellus what you said about the ammo is very true and, as I recall, the German were manufeacturing 76mm and 85mm russian rounds. May be several others. Nevertheless, they were transforming a fair number of captured vehicle as well. They had two units who were performing only that. One was located in the East and issued a number of prototypes. The other was located in France (where it had less pressure) and came up with an amazing number of modified vehicles (using allied vehicles): tank hunters, flame throwers, sp artillery, sp rocket launchers, armored transports...

By the way what is less known is that both the allied and the soviets used a large number of captured vehicles as well.

Russia modified captured Pz-III to make tank hunter and they were glad to use Tigers and captured Panthers. They also used Pz-IV.
American troops used a number of transport vehicle while the british used the Pz.III in northern Africa (Polish armour).

In all these cases, the problem never came from ammo but from spare parts.

About, changing the gun, I think I red that somewhere in one of the cannon books where german T-72 tanks are called T-72-120. I think, however, that it comes out of v2.2 where they had more time to do that. However, the replacement of SMGs has more chance to take place as this is not as difficult.

About captured vehicles, Israel remain a very interesting exemple as they have been using and are still using captured vehicles. They indeed use them with the original weapon but always replace it as soon as they can. They also perform extensive modifications.