View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
Pfft. I was born a year too late but grew up with stories of humanity colonizing the entire universe (star trek, star wars, cosmos 1999, galactica...). Then, nowadays, the best and safest space vehicle still in service (at least, if you want to go to the moon) remain the Russian rocket designed by Korolev in the early 1950's. When did everything went wrong????
Well, there were plans to go up to at least Apollo 20 and beyond, but President Nixon cut the budget for the space program and even told Gene Cernan, the last man on the Moon in December of 1972, "you will be the last human to walk on the Moon in the 20th Century." Cernan, among other astronauts, were very upset at that.

A side note, in my campaign worlds, sometimes I let the program go up to at least Apollo 18 (early 1973) as a background for an old astronaut in my games.

We are "spinning our wheels" and even slipped backwards in some cases. It's interesting the Russians are still using a 1950's era rocket and a 1960's era Soyuz to remain in space. We should have kept Apollo at least.

Chuck