View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
I think the way that apartheid was abolished in the real world is probably the best model to use. Sure, the country's crime rate is pretty atrocious, and they have a number of other problems, but they managed to avoid descending into out and out civil war, which I think might have been a very real possibility under different circumstances (personally I think Mandela himself was probably the biggest single factor in the peaceful transition from white to majority rule - without him, things might have been very different).

I also think proposed tribal homelands would probably be more likely to split the country up than unite it.

Just my tuppence worth...

Cheers
My idea was to have Frederik Willem de Klerk & Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela both working together to bring down apartheid. I had also read that General Constand Viljoen (Afrikaaner founder of the Freedom Front) had been instrumental in keeping right-wing groups from a civil war. That's what gave the the idea of a coalition of leaders working together to make the transition easier and allowing for government to maintain more control over the situation (and stop the problems they are having today).

The idea of the allowing for the homelands to exist as states (like we see in the US) to help provide stablitiy and create local governments that could elect people to represent their interests in the legislature..
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.