View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven
I think additionally the act of pumping a shotgun or reloading a bolt rifle will cause more 'recoil' because pumping or reloading the bolt will cause the gun to go 'off target' (translated into recoil for the games rules) than an automatic action which is immediate and then allowing you to get back on target.
This thread has given me food for thought in terms of recoil and pump action shotguns, I might talk to the creator of "The System That Shall Not Speak Its Name" about it. I have to disagree with the point about bolt actions because they cycle along the firing axis of the weapon and therefore cause little disruption to the sight picture (although you do have to use the hand with your trigger finger on it to cycle the bolt unlike pump and lever actions). The bolt action I am most familiar with personally is the Lee-Enfield SMLE and it is an excellent piece of design - easy, comfortable and fast to cycle as well as being robust and reliable. Served British Commonwealth forces very well through two world wars and skilled users can maintain a rate of fire and level of accuracy rivaling (although perhaps not exceeding) comparable weapons of the time. I seem to recall that until the 1980s the Australian Army was still using accurised, scoped, 7.62mmN converted SMLEs as sniper rifles.

I think a pump action shotgun would end up more off target per reload if it was a pistol grip weapon or was being fired from the hip. Cycling the action on a pump shotgun which has the butt stock firmly held to the shoulder would not generate much pitch or yaw along the weapon's horizontal axis.

I think I'll implement a modification to Gunmaster's recoil rules under which lever, bolt and pump action weapons will each have their own penalty to recoil for rapid fire, as that would be a situation more likely to result in violent motion along the firing axis of the weapon.

Last edited by Targan; 11-01-2008 at 02:41 AM.