Thread: Iraq
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Nice tone, Mr. Glancy. Nice tone.

If you don't know what I meant regarding my first point then you are either being disingenuous or you simply don't want to acknowledge the merit in my point. Fine either way, but please don't patronize me.

The Soviet Union of v1.0 canon and the Soviet Union of 1991 are not one in the same.

As to Saddam not backing down, he did not have the full weight of the [former] Eastern Bloc leaning on him. The "Soviet Union's" response to Sadam's aggression in 1991 was fairly indifferent. If a more powerful Soviet Union- like the one in the v1.0 canon- and its satellites were actively pressing him, he may have behaved more prudently. I am not, nor have I ever been, a Saddam apologist.

In the six years or so I've been part of this online community, many people have disagreed with me. I can handle that. But no one, to this point, has been so disrespectful about it.
I think we all agree the 1990 Real life Soviet Union should be considered a Version 2.0 minus. Very different from a Version 1 USSR. Everyone this may just be a difference in perspective or a poor choice of words.

Due to NATO Forces being tied Europe in V1 I suspect the V1 and V2 Desert Storm would use a vastly different force base. This is why "canon" arguments are often contradictory even within the confines of fully established canon.

However I think we all can say that Saddam made some very bad decisions in real life and could have made just as many ill thought out ones in any gaming scenario.