View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 06:30 AM

I'd agree with those that think an ANZAC force is likely to be present in Korea. Leg's suggested composition seems reasonable. Maybe some Canadians attached also (CAANZAC? ANZACCA?)

With regard to other nations, the Survivor's Guide to the UK makes reference to the British 6th Infantry Division (formed from elements of the Hong Kong garrison) linking up with American forces on the Yalu River in the summer of 1997 (can't recall off hand if it mentions the exact month). It's a fairly brief link up however as I seem to recall that the 6th Division is hit quite hard by nuclear strikes later on that summer and retreats back to the Hong Kong / Shenzen area.

(on a side note, the Gurkha Brigade had its own pipe band. I've always thought it would be a neat scene for the American forces on the Yalu to hear the sound of bagpipes in the distance - cue puzzled looks as the pipes gradually get louder and the lead elements of the 6th Division come into view over the horizon...)

Looking at the British Army's late 80's orbat and reconciling that with existing commitments, the cupboard is relatively bare, so I don't think we'd have had anything spare to send directly to Korea unless you advocate adding additional Battalions to the RL orbat to represent formations raised during the War. One could perhaps argue that the British and German units at BATUS in Canada (1st Battalion, Royal Hampshires and 1st Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment for the UK plus two German Battalions) were tasked to form an expeditionary force that was meant to go to Korea but their deployment was initially delayed by lack of shipping then cancelled altogether after the nukes). It's actually as good a reason as I've ever been able to come up with for the presence of those forces in Canada (and the Glosters served with distinction during the first Korean War).

I'm not so sure about the primacy of the UN and the presence of troops from neutral nations though. Whilst it's correct to state that the first Korean War was a War between the UN and North Korea / China (I'm sure I read somewhere that happened because the Soviets didn't use their veto as they were boycotting the UN at the time) I think that by the time of a Second Korean War in T2K the UN would have been rendered more or less impotent, if indeed it was still in existence (I'm going from memory here, but isn't it mentioned in some of the published material that the UN as an organisation falls apart relatively early on in the War - might have been one of the NATO vehicle guides or maybe even Armies of the Night?)

Therefore I think the US would be the one firmly in the driving seat in Korea. Even if nominally at least hostilities were still covered under a UN mandate, at all practical levels other countries would view the fighting as an extension of the conflict in Europe (and elsewhere). I think it highly unlikely, therefore, that troops from any neutral nations would deploy under a UN banner.

Just some thoughts...

Cheers