View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
I am working on something for East Anglia as it's where I live. I do think that the Gipping/Stour estuary would be targetted during the anti-infrastructure nuclear exchange. As the port of Felixtowe became the UK's largest container port in 1980 (3rd largest in Europe) and with the port of Harwich on the other side of a quite narrow gap I think it would be an obvious target.
Will look forward to seeing what you come up with...you just can't beat local knowledge...

Looking at the map Felixstowe and Harwich do certainly seem to be fairly obvious targets, particularly when you consider that Dover and Folkestone both got hit. Generally I've always tried to leave the canon nuclear strikes as they were listed in the Survivor's Guide to the UK, although a number of what would seem to be obvious targets were missed (e.g. Portsmouth, Plymouth, Faslane).

One could argue that perhaps a single missile was intended to take out Felixstowe and Harwich (given their proximity that would seem to be possible) and it missed, landing in the north sea instead? Alternatively perhaps targets that were missed out were plastered by conventional attack earlier in the War, so deemed not worth nuking (yes, admittedly unlikely!).

Cheers