View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
I have to say that I assumed that the nuclear strike map in Survivors Guide UK like other target maps only showed sites that had hits by 0.5 Mt or greater. This would explain some fairly obvious missed targets. I thought that Felixtowe/Harwich port could be destroyed by a sub-Hiroshima sized warhead of ~5kt
That is quite possible (the target maps only showing .5Mt or greater targets has come up before, either on the forum or its predecessor, and has been generally accepted as a reason for "missing" targets).

However, referring to the SGUK, the section on Anglia specifically states that the region escaped nuclear attack in the 1997 exchanges. Reason given for this was that the region was a farming area with no heavy industry therefore there were no viable targets. So this spares not only Felixstowe / Harwich, but also the host of RAF and USAF airbases in Norfolk and Suffolk (to be fair it makes no mention one way or the other of the 1998 exchanges so one or both may have been hit then).

To be honest, I've stated on more than one occasion that I have always found the SGUK to be a disappointment, and that's why I chose to write my own alternative timeline. Whilst that timeline obviously deviates from the canon established by the SGUK in several ways, as I said earlier changing the canon nuclear strikes was one area that I didn't get into for a couple of reasons.

However you've given me good reason to think again about Felixstowe and Harwich with regard to how I deal with East Anglia in my own material, and as I said, I'd be very interested in what you come up with...

Cheers