Thread: Coolest Camo
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I never even got dress blues, and didn't need them. I had two tailored sets of class As, though -- my shape didn't change the whole time I was in the Army, except in Basic.
Guess it was the thang with the ACRs...Squadron Mess Night, Regimental Mess Night, Change of Command Night...blues or your best set of Class As and there was no shirking, unless you were on duty.

One of the things that always impressed me was the strong sense of tradition that the ACRs kept. You might see photos of the chain of command in a armor battalion, but the ACRs also had photos of every regimental commanding officer...you also heard the colonel being refered to as the 32nd, 33rd or 34th Colonel of the Regiment. Squadron headquarters with its Wall of Honor, listing every battle that the regiment took part in. The names of all of the winners of the Medal of Honor. The regimental birthday. Right on down to the honorable post of Squadron and Regimental Bugler...and when we had a Bierfest with the local German unit, we used to have fun blowing all of the old calls....

The old regiments had a proud sense of tradition, guess that is what brought out the best in us, knowing that the old 2nd Dragoons were looking on...