View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Default Surplus armor in T2K

To all-
I'm sorry if this has been discussed here previously, as I am new to the forum.

I reenact WW2 and have had the luck of coming into contact with WW2 and postwar armor from a variety of nations. In the Midwest US we have M-5 tanks, your odd M4A3 Sherman, M-36's, a pair of Hetzer/G-13 tank destroyers, and a gaggle of US M-2 & M-3 series half tracks. There are even several (four that I've seen and/or touched personally) Czech OT-810 halftracks running within a hundred mile radius of Chicago.

Has the use of older armor (including obsolete cold war stuff) been ever discussed for a CONUS campaign? The half tracks and scout cars are fairly common for what they are, but I see some real wierd stuff from time to time pop up that had been practically hidden in garages over the years.

Just don't ask me why someone would go through all that trouble to never run it or show it...I can't get my head around that one.

It would seem to me that having a half track and/or M-20 available to a local militia would be really valuable, even if only armed with 30 or 50-cal MG's. With the exception of the German WW2 stuff, most of if cannot be easier to work on. Occaisionally I see something like a M5 Stuart pop up in a town square from time to time. There is even a M60A3 in very good shape about 20 miles from here that was donated 5-10 years ago. It appears to be a M60A3 TTS.

About 2 miles from here a guy built a M35 2.5ton gun truck ala Vietnam...no, it is not named "Eve of Destruction." it still looks sharp in black with red lettering, though.

-Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave