View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglancy12 View Post
Besides the language barrier, I've always wondered why US forces are always treated so hospitably by Poles in TW2000. Sure, the Sovs are brutal douche-nozzles, but the Americans sure did toss a lot of nukes around the Polish country-side. Even if there is such a thing as pro-NATO Polish Free Congress, I can't imagine their attitude towards Americans is going to be anything other than "Thanks for the Rads and for the mauling the Red Army... now f@*& off."
Living in Poland was not easy in the 80s. Eastern Europeans also had a very low standard of living during the Cold War.

I have read several books on the Estonian Forest Brothers. Only a small part of the Estonians began to resist the brutal oppression of the regime. Even food donations freedom fighters demanding a great deal of courage. This, therefore, despite the fact that Estonians have had universal military service (men knew how to use weapons) and weapons were readily available as soon as the fighting ended on Estonian soil. In real world partisan action is for those who are very brave or who have nothing to lose.

I can well imagine the Polish village. Local young men have died in the war at China in 1996 and 1997. Soviet troops committed quite serious raping & looting while they retreated through the village.

The villagers feared that scorpions will follow the snakes. To everyone's surprise, the Americans behaved like gentlemen. Freedom of speech was introduced. Communist regime absurd regulations were withdrawn. All unemployed men received well paying jobs from road building engineer unit. State owned land was distributed to local farmers. And there was something to buy from local shops.

When NATO retrieved many villagers were shot by polish state police. Nobody owned nothing anymore and kids were hungry - again. And now the russian started to use nuclear weapons! In october 1999 villagers killed their local communist officials and last ZOMO troops.