Thread: New on board
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 PM

I enjoy combining games and genres. One of my early campaigns was inspired by Red Sector A (Rush). I combined Top Secret 1e with 2300AD and Friday (Heinlein). I moved Friday's Boss' organization (System Enterprises, inc) to Canada, outside Toronto, and had the PCs play spies all up and down the French and American arms for a while. Then I called them home. As they were landing, they saw a nuclear burst over the city, and an egyptian sarcophagus crashed down by their shuttle. Inside, they found a horribly burned corpse clutching a metal object like an unreasonably heavy d20. The players didn't realize they were about to become time travelers!

I moved them to Timelords 2e right on schedule, and pushed them through a tourist's view of history for a while before they found themselves in ancient Egypt. There, they found another time traveler calling himself Ser-Taspes. Spoiling his plans and freeing the locals from his oppression made them an enemy for life. He dedicated himself to destroying them, and eventually he captured them on his spaceship.

Before they killed him, he armed a nuke and prepped his escape device: A specially built sarcophagus with the aforementioned bomb on a rack, and a matrix (the d20 object) inside. The players found that it had a precursor field up that would detonate the bomb if they tried to use their matrix to leave, and it was counting down. They didn't disappoint me: after an argument, one of them volunteered to use the matrix in the sarcophagus to jump the bomb away, hoping he could drop it and jump back before it blew.

Since time was running out, he didn't take the time to attune it to himself so he could select a new jump point - he jumped to Ser-Taspes' pre-programmed point. The last thing he saw as the lid fell off of the sarcophagus was an aerial view of Toronto...the players were stunned until I mentioned that this was what I had been working towards since the campaign started and that the whole thing had come to me listening to that song - and they had wondered why I had made that the theme song of the campaign! The pillows started flying, although one player was pissed off all over again because now they knew I had killed Mr. Two-Canes with malice aforethought!

So, anyone got a similar story? Feel free to ah, re-appropriate the idea...