View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
There was a piece on the NBC national news tonight about something called Iron Mountain. I'd never heard of it before. Apparently, it's a giant, underground storage facility in a converted coal mine in Pennsylvania somewhere. It countains hundreds of thousands of original government documents, film reels (E.T., Jaws, etc.), music recordings (Elvis' "Houndog"), patents (Edison's lightbulb), and other items. It's all temperature controlled and they said that it was "earthquake safe". I'm not sure if they meant that there are few earthquakes in that region or that the facility is structurally reinforced somehow. Anyhow, being underground, under a nominal mountain, would probably protect it from the effects of nearby nuclear blasts (not sure what PA sites are on the T2K target list).

Seems like one could find some helpful (or harmful) information- technical, legal, historical, cultural, etc.- for the process of rebuilding CONUS there. I didn't catch it if it was specifically mentioned, but I believe that the entire facility is privately owned and operated, although they did say something about 2000 odd government employees working there (the government won't specify what it is they exactly do there nor what documents are stored in the facility).

Anyway, Iron Mountain could make for a neat campaign destination.
One of my former co-workers and now friend, his sister works there and we are planning to get together and we will go on a tour of Iron Mountain. It is to the north of me. If I ever get to go and if I'm allowed to take pictures, I'll let yuns know and show pics if I can. I know before you can get on the grounds, you have to be checked out by the Feds. One time, a truck driver delivering items to the mine had his 11 year old kid with him and they wouldn't let him in with the kid because he wasn't checked out but they finally allowed them to go on after some debate.

I also had a client who worked there too, basically, he told me that it is so big down there, you can drive entire semis down there.

As to earthquakes, I know if you go north a little bit, there have been some small ones, the largest I know if was a 5.2 in 1998 near Greenville/Jamestown, PA, at the time it happened, I owned property up there and I think it was close to the epicenter.

Chuck