Thread: Rifle Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Simon, you got it right (your googlefu is strong).

John Motton, world class marksman who started out making bicycles and went on to be a world class gunsmith famous for "Motty's paste" (a rifle cleaning compound) which could be found around the world, and his outstanding accurisation work on rifles in the first half of the C20th. Although he was a superior shot, he was often used by the national team as coach rather than competitor, but he did still manage to shoot from time to time with huge success.

His relevance to target shooting is he built the prize rifle for the annual "Kings (later Queens) shot".
My grandfather had a "Motty" which has now been passed down to somebody in absolute total AWE of what the rifle can do, the phenomenal skill of the shooter, and of the gunsmith who made it!

So what sort of rifle is the Motty based around? And I can only wonder what the going price for one of those is...
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake