View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Because canonically the lead up to war is incremental, I can see all military equipment being seen as strategically important and mothballed rather than disposed of.

When the strikes begin and it becomes apparent how bad the damage is, I can also see local commanders, police forces and other authorities flat out confiscating any military equipment, even if it's just an old tank on a hard stand somewhere - it'd still make a hell of a machine gun bunker against people armed with pistols.

In Europe with the smaller area and the larger units, this equipment would probably gravitate to rear area workshops for refurbishment and issue to rear area security units. When most people have carts, having a WW2 era Willys Jeep makes you positively a tech-head!

In the US with its more separated units and larger area, much of this equipment might well evade the round up and stay in private hands. Also, it's more likely that the disintegration of units may lead to this equipment spreading out across the countryside.

As an aside, I can also see whole consignments of things like hunting jackets being issued to militia units as a uniform.