View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 PM

Default Hello, back again, with a question

Not sure if some here remember me, I posted here a while back. I've been away on personal matters, mom had to undergo surgery, and some other things have come up.

Anyway, I'm back, and it's good to see most of the guys still here. I did have a question though, slightly off-topic...and it may seem a bit silly at first, but the member here appear to be a much more mature group than you would find at some other sites (and I mean that as a complement, btw).

Do you think there is a fine line with harassment/bullying/intimidation/hostility/etc. in some RP groups? I mean, at the risk of sounding vague, do a sizable number of RP groups claim to welcome role players, but then harass them once they start playing? Granted if you're playing characters that may oppose each other in some regard during an RP, certain behavior might be expected, but do you think a fine line exists? Can it go overboard to the point where RP groups may have a tendency to be rather hostile to new players as part of their typical modus operandi?

I guess I'm asking this as I had been for a while up until recently RP'ed with a certain sci fi roleplaying group, but the group is split into two parts, or subgroups. The one part where I conducted RP was fine, but once I attempted to start RP'ing on the other half of the group...sheesh, talk about attack dogs. I was thinking it was just the way the players were operating, but the vehemence I've been getting is making me reconsider if I should just stick to the other half of the group and not even interact with this half.

Anyway, pardon if the answer to this topic seems pretty obvious, or perhaps instead vague, but I guess I just wanted to get it off my head.
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake