View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 10:21 PM

Page 5 of RDF Sourcebook states that as the US 82nd Airborne Division was deploying to Saudi Arabia, massive air battles raged over central and southern Iran and Iranian Tornadoes and American F-15's tangled with Soviet Mig-23's and Su-27's.

It also states on Page 5 that On May 3rd, the 82nd Airborne Division and two battalions of the 75th Infantry Regiment (Ranger) were airdropped into the Bandar-e Khomeyni-Khorramshahr area. US Navy surface units and gunships of the 6th ACCB provided fire support. The 101st AAD made an airmobile landing in the Bushehr area, supported by units of the Iranian Navy and two battalions of Iranian Marines.

Iranian People's Army HQ: Shiraz
Iranian 3rd AD (3,000 men, 10 Chieftan MkVs, 4 Challengers): Shiraz/Marv Dasht/Zarqan/Kazerun
Iranian 12th ID (3,000 men, 10 Scorpions): Fasa/Jahrom
Iranian 16th Abn Division (2,000 men): Bandar-e Lengeh/Bastak/Lar
Iranian 3rd ID (2,000 men, 6 Scorpions): Bandar Abbas
Iranian Army Aviation Bde (400 men, 2 AH-1Ts, 6 UH-60s): Shiraz
Iranian People's Air Force HQ: Shiraz
227 Ftr Sqdn (200 men, 4 F-20s): Shiraz

As far as I know Iran never made any attempt to buy Tornado's or the F-20 either before or after the Iranian revolution. I doubt Britain, Germany, Italy or Saudi Arabia would transfer any Tornado bomber variants, although maybe a squadron of British Tornado ADV fighters were transferred as the Iranians as part of an arms deal as the Iranians seem to be using a lot of British tanks in T2K. The F-20 was cancelled in 1986 in favour of the F-16 by the US, even though Morocco and Bahrain wanted to buy it and India and South Korea were showing a strong interest in it, and I've heard rumors that even Israel and Switzerland were interested in the F-20 which seemed to be a superior air defence fighter to the early model F-16. The F-20's radar was used by Argentina, South Korea and Taiwan in their own combat aircraft designs.

The Imperial Iranian Air Force placed an order for over 150 F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter aircraft in 1976, but deliveries were never made, due to the overthrow of the Shah by Ayatollah Khomeni in the Iranian Revolution. These aircraft would go on to serve in the Israeli Air Force. The Shah also contemplated the sharing of development costs for the United States Navy's new F-18 fighter.

As for US warships I don't think any Kidd Class destroyers would be transferred to the Iranian Navy, more likely Knox Class frigates and some minesweepers and patrol boats.