View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
I'm sorry to say that I think the No column outweighs the Yes.

Not quite on-topic, but here's this that I just saw today:
I wonder what A-10 Pilot came up with this how can a aircraft with a range of under 280 NMI be a muilt role aircraft?

Ok lets look at the A-10 Mulit Missions

Close Air Support close air support (CAS) is defined as air action by fixed or rotary-winged aircraft against hostile targets that are close to friendly ground or naval forces, and which requires detailed integration of each air mission with fire and movement of these forces OK I get it Yes the A-10 can do this mission

Strike Control and Reconnaissance (SCAR), is a mission flown for the purpose of detecting targets and coordinating or performing attack or reconnaissance on those targets Strike coordination and reconnaissance missions are flown in a specific geographic area and are an element of the command and control interface to coordinate multiple flights detect and attack targets neutralize enemy air defences and provide battle damage assessment. Not sure dose the A-10 and modern comm suite that can handle this also can you put a camera on the A-10 and dose it lack of speed make thses flight unwise?

Combat search and rescue (CSAR) are search and rescue operations that are carried out during war that are within or near combat zones. A CSAR mission may be carried out by a task force of helicopters, ground-attack aircraft, aerial refuelling tankers and an airborne command post.

The USAF HC-130, which was introduced in 1965, has served in the latter two roles

Air interdiction (AI), also known as deep air support (DAS), is the use of aircraft to attack tactical ground targets that are not in close proximity to friendly ground forces. It differs from close air support because it does not directly support ground operations and is not closely coordinated with ground units. Unlike strategic bombing, air interdiction is not meant as an independent air campaign, as its ultimate purpose is to aid ground operations rather than to defeat the enemy by air power alone. Can't F-15 or B-1 with smart weaposn to the same thing?

Forward Air Control Aircraft (FAC-A), Forward air control is the provision of guidance to Close Air Support aircraft intended to ensure that their attack hits the intended target and does not injure friendly troops. This task is carried out by a forward air controller may form part of a Fire Support Team or Tactical Air Control Party, they may be ground based, airborne in fixed-wing aircraft or in helicopters It only has a pilot and agian is lack of range might hamper it use in this role

Anti Maritime (AM) is concerned with the suppression of surface combatants. More generally, it is any weapons, sensors, or operations intended to attack or limit the effectiveness of an adversary's surface ships.

Today, air anti maritime is generally conducted by stand-off attacks using air-launched cruise missiles or air-to-surface missiles.