View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham2 View Post
Regarding arming journalists - I think it depends on the war, modern practice of targeting reporters is really too late to impact TW2000, the first real time it started was in the former Jugoslavia and it only became apparent in the post 9/11 campaigns. My guess is that the Soviets would have interred captured journalists not targeted them. Best practice early war would probably be to be unarmed and only arm when marauders start to appear.
Ahem, have to take issue with this, ever heard of the Balabo Five? Five Australian journo's, (one might have been a Kiwi) went missing from Balabo in Timor Leste in 1975. The common belief (unproven) is that they were executed by Indonesian troops active in the area.

Also circa 1975 I think, cant recall specifics at the moment, but think the Khmer Rouge executed some journo's.

Nicaraguar, maybe I'm getting a film and reality mixed up but some nuns were executed and I think a journo too.

All of these were long before the former Jugoslavia break up conflicts but I'll admit its probably a more recent trend most likely tied to that other trend of conflicts not being wars between two or more standing armies anymore.

Nice article though. I'll admit to not recognising anyone but they're usefull fleshed out templates.