View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

You dirty bugger!

As for the 16s, well come on the A1s had ALOT of issues! The couple times I fired them they certainly felt like they were lacking too. But the A2 is more robust. As for the whole clobbering someone with one, hey it'll do. I'll worry about it shattering after I have bashed mohameds brains in, heck, a rock will do the job too if the 16 shatters.

As for the SLR, I BOUGHT ONE! I love it, I just wish it had adjustments for windage.

And another trick I still use for the offhand is the trick we were punished with in bootcamp. Take the rifle hold it in your shoulder, then add your cartridge belt on the front of the barrel and hold the rifle steady with the added weight, then drop your forward hand holding it only in place with the hand on the pistol grip. Then when you add the forward hand and remove the belt it is so much easier to control. It certainly reduces the "crazy 8"

Dry firing has its purpose. It teaches you trigger control and one must learn and know their trigger if they want make the good controlled shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker
And yet soooo right at the same time....

:P

Been there! In my experience M16s are nothing more than plastic toys designed to fall apart at the first sign of stress. Mind you the ones we were issued were at least 20 years old and seen service in the Vietnam era.
Most could be grasped by stock and butt and twisted, sights bent waaaay out of alignment and the odd bent barrel to boot. One of the battalions best shots once had to qualify with one and at 200 metres his sights had to be on the far right side of the target in the lane to his right, just so he could graze the left side of his own!

Give me a good solid L1A1 SLR any day. 7.62mm hitting power, a barrel that doesn't bend when the wind blows and strong enough to smash over an enemies head without disintergrating.

Makes a great hunting rifle too.

Kalos, if you're looking to improve your accuracy, there are several methods of "dry firing" that don't require a range, ammunition, or even a rifle! A broomstick with a couple of nails in it for sights, a wall, pencil and paper and a friend to mark your "shots" is all that's needed. Soviets trained their Olympic marksmen this way for years (although I think they might have actually used rifles rather than sticks)!