View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardoslegion View Post
Other than weapons,

on my duty belt I carry 2 sets of steel handcuffs, 2 sets of rubber gloves, a radio, and a flashlight. Some of my coworkers carry tourniquets.

in the squad car, I have a radio, flex cuffs, fire extinguisher, Kevlar helmet, first aid kit, flash light, gas mask, computer and ticket books.

We are required to wear our body armor at all times. I work for a suburban department outside of Chicago and this is a fairly typical load out for this area.

Weapon wise, we carry Glock 17s and at least 3 mags, pepper spray, a taser, and a baton. Back up guns are optional. We have Ar15s in the trunk and can request a shotgun from the armory when needed.
I had virtually the same loadout except we added; 1 ASP telescoping baton, 1 small can of Pepper Spray (generally worthless), 4 sets of flexi-cuffs (to secure doors during building searches while serving warrants & for group prisoner transports). We had door stops (used to "secure" doors during searches) and 4 pair of leg irons and manacles for prisoner transport in our vehicles (we used Ford LTD cruisers and Ford E150 Vans with cages for prisoner transports). We had access to 2 "shock belts," (a belt with a "stungun" located over the kidneys) for violent offenders and were just getting Tasers (worn crossdraw) when I left.

We also carried a couple of cans of Final Net hairspray in our vehicles. If you hosed down a perp with pepper mace; You would spray him down with Final Net and let it dry for a minute. This would prevent the mace from "vaporing" and irritating you in the cruiser. It also sealed the mace to the perp's body so you wouldn't have trouble hosing out the smell of the mace from the cruiser after you transported the perp.