View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

400 isn't a bad size. In fact I think it's too small. My original estimate was about ten times that, including families and everyone else. I'm going for something between these two sizes.

I agree with your number estimates for exits. I was thinking along those same lines.

So the two types of exits for the operational phase aren't actually finished. They are drilled to about 1000 feet from the surface and the big ass boring machines are parked in the tunnels, waiting to be activated to drill out the last 1000 feet. There are probably two very large machines, capable of digging large vehicle sized exits and two-four smaller machines for exits for smaller vehicles or personnel. The undug tunnels mean that they don't have to be disguised. They have 1000 feet of natural "camouflage".

I think those Ninja Mice might well be an issue.

Getting back the size of Prime Base. I go with the philosophy "It is better to have something or someone and not need them than to not have them and to need them" I'd make the base very resource heavy. If it needs one guy to do a job there are three people to cover it. If it might need a skill set there is certainly two people there to do it. If it would never in a million years need such a person there is one just waiting.

It needs several recon teams, both inside the base and nearby. There should be a number of resources available within easy reach of the base so that if the area over the base has some problems they don't need to uncork to get them cleaned off, they just call these support teams (Recon, MARS, Engineering in particular) and have them show up and deal with the problem. They should have some clever methods to scout the area, communicate securely with the base without compromising it and decoying anyone off the site, or otherwise causing anyone to scurry off.

But it will still need a dozen recon teams and half a dozen MARS teams. These will be charged with base security during the inactive phase, as well as scouting upon activation. That's about 180 folks right there.

I figure each tower gets the equivalent of an engine company and an ambulance crew so about 8 people. This is multiplied by three shifts so that is 24 people per tower, so if there are four towers that's about 100 more. There will also be a hazardous materials response team staged for the industrial areas, an EOD team for the ordnance area so let's say another fifty total for those groups.

There needs to be all the plumbers and HVAC technicians and electricians and such to run the place, so I think a staff of between 20-40 for those services.

A crew of a couple of dozen to run the diggers when they are operational. These guys will keep the basic structure of the underground buildings together otherwise

A fully staffed hospital, ready to uncork and get sent someplace to set up, but also to deal with anything and everything within the base.

I'm going to have to look over the operational people for command staffs and such, but I feel the base should be able to handle 3-5 regional level incidents at one time-These would be floods, or wildfires or epidemics or military campaigns. They should also be able to juggle a dozen "minor" problems. This means full commo for the bandwidth needed for all these simultaneous events 24 hours a day.

So I think 500 for the major events and 120 for the minor issues, so about 650 all together.

Add Janitors, catering staff, hydoponics, assorted other folks

So with all this its around 2000 people, plus families, so maybe 3000 total?

Im open to discussion about this, of course