View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
Just some little info on at least some state guards. Some states use them for odds and ends jobs. I talked with some from WA and all most all of them are retired military who in the state guard retain their old rank (lots of MSG and above, on the enlisted side, and from my understanding LTC and above on the officer side with few of the lower ranks) and their main mission is to take care of national guard armories when the national guard is deployed.

On the other hand the CA state guard did a lot when the CA national guard unit I got attached to deployed, they did all the screening and all the admin stuff needed to make sure that the troop was deployable and again most of them were former military but with the ones I talked with they were not mostly retired and almost entirely officers with captain and major most common that I saw. Neither type would be very usable in a combat role the WA type they are too old and to far removed even when they were still in to know what to do in combat if it hit them in the face, and the CA model were all medical and admin staff. Not saying that there is not a third (or more) types out there but all the different state guards that I have seen fell into one of those types.
VA has around 1000 members in the Virginia Defense Force (the goal is to have 1200 members). They follow both systems in a way - the VDF secures NG facilities when those units are deployed, assists in NG mobilization, and is used for disaster relief. They're also technically liable to be called up in case of invasion or insurrection, to support law enforcement, or "[w]hen any combination of persons becomes so powerful as to obstruct the execution of laws in any part of this Commonwealth". I haven't heard of any VDF working with law enforcement, but I've only been here for around a year, so it may have happened in the past. Any unorganized militia ordered into service by the Governor becomes part of the VDF (per Title 44-88) and anyone failing to do so when ordered is subject to court-martial (Title 44-90). The VDF is unarmed unless ordered otherwise by the Governor.

In a T2K scenario, I figure they'd get the leftovers of the VNG equipment and serve pretty much the same role - guarding bases and possibly civilian government facilities as well. Since they're not draft-exempt, I expect the VDF would fairly soon end up with the too-old and the too-young (they can accept volunteers as young as 16 under current law), and they'd probably have ended up with a lot of 16 and 17 year olds who saw it as a way to get some training before being sent to the war.