Thread: OT Gibraltar
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
That's ok. It doesn't really affect me at all. I know it made it hard to lure foreign investors back during the recession.

Meanwhile, I wish I had taken pictures inside the Spanish Army museum in Madrid when I was there. Any military museums or displays in Barcelona I should look for someday?
I'm afraid you will not find the same here, in Catalonia, at least in the form of military museums. Strange thing, given that this is our longest period of peace. But the past years of dictatorship with Franco and the difficult relationship between Catalonia and Spain have caused a reaction against anything that sounds military. The only military museum in Barcelona is in Montjuïc Castle, and it was about to be closed two years ago. It’s seems difficult (or nearly impossible) to have an objective treatment of the military history without opening past wounds. As an exempla, Barcelona was bombarded at least twice from Montjuïc itself to suppress riots. You will find history museums with contents about our wars but (with the exception of Montjuïc Castle), you will not find a military-only museum. You can make an interesting visit to the Ebro Battle scenario (200 Km away from Barcelona), especially if you have read before any book that allows you to move knowing the critical points of the battlefield. You will find small and interesting local museums about the battle in some villages of the area. And, of course, you will find military architecture everywhere. Our wood is not good to build fortifications, so stone built structures are everywhere and you will find any kind of fortress, since Roman walls to Renaissance bastion forts, medieval castles and towers to protect the coastal villages against Muslim pirates.

Anyway, send me a message if you want a local guide!