View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 PM
History Geek

Most of what I have is circa 1989. I will post a NATO OB Word document that someone on the Net created a while back.

The 1989 Osprey book Tank War Central Front NATO vs. Warsaw Pact has the following entry for France:
The French Army is potentially one of the larger contributors to NATO defence of the Central Front, but its semi-independent posture has meant that its forces are not as well integrated into NATO as other armies. The French Army currently fields 16 medium tank regiments, equipped with various models of the AMX-30 tank; these regiments are about the same size as an American tank battalion. Tanks are also integrated into mechanized infantry and cavalry units.

A total of 1,184 AMX-30B tanks were delivered to the French Army by the early 1980s, followed by 271 AMX-30B2s. In the mid-1980s the French Army funded the conversion of AMX-30Bs to the improved AMX-30B2 standard, with about 500 tanks converted by 1988; a total of 693 are planned for conversion by the time the program is completed in the late 1980s.

Three of France’s eight armoured divisions are forward-deployed in Germany with the I and II French Corps. French units remain under national command authorities, not supreme NATO command. But in time of war, some degree of NATO operational control over French forces would be likely.

Since the mid-1980s, France has been paying greater attention to its role in a conventional defence of Europe, and expanding its joint exercises with the Bundeswehr. The French Army currently contemplates acquiring the new LeClerc main battle tank in the early 1990s.
Attached Files
File Type: docx NATO_ORDER_OF_BATTLE_mod_8.docx (512.0 KB, 134 views)