View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I have to agree with the Aussies here. They are over-rating the blast by a bit.
A lot of the answers to those questions are just plain sheer incompetence and corruption. The Lebanese government has been teetering on the brink of total failure for many years now, with most only staying in power through graft, bribery and blackmail.

I had read one report that the Hezbollah didn't want it moved as they desired easy access to it for bomb making materials - would not surprise me in the slightest to find out that was true.

As for the methodology in estimating the blast size, well, basing it on the crater dimensions makes absolutely zero sense. We don't know how exactly the AN was stored, if it was in direct contact with the floor, what the soil density under the building was, etc, etc, etc. There's FAR too many unknown variables to make that even a remotely decent method. No, calculating using the known factors is much more accurate - how much was stored and the deflag rate of AN. Using actual known and reliable stats only yields less than 1kt, so of course we know which way the sensationalist media will go....

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem