Thread: Rations
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 10:25 PM

I think there's a few advantages T2k has over both the 18th century and the Morrow Project setting when it comes to food.

The first big one is knowledge. In T2k germ theory exists and is understood as is Pasteurization and canning. These things are game changers when it comes to food safety. Pasteurization and canning can preserve more types of food and for longer durations than older preservation techniques.

The second is fairly wide availability of stuff. TDM didn't cause all modern technologies and products to disintegrate. There's going to be literal tons of jars, bottles, utensils, cookery, and crockery (including Tupperware or equivalent) in every first and second world town and village. There's also literal tons of food safe storage containers in the hands of civilians and militaries. Foods can be cooked and preserved more efficiently and under safer conditions than during the Revolutionary War.

Another big difference is that before TDM the whole planet had huge preserved food industries. While international trade of foods would have slowed by 1996 most countries had domestic packaging concerns. I would assume everyone would have started crash food production (Defense Production Act et al) efforts as the war ramped up both for military and civilian consumption.

With that in mind anywhere that can generate a good surplus is likely going to pump out rations for encamped forces. Stews and such that might have normally been in tin cans would can as well in jars. As nutritional science is also better in T2k than the 18th century I can picture fruit bars being a popular ration item. That's in addition to hardtack/crackers and preserved meats.

I'd also think there would be literal tons of condiments floating all around. While not necessarily foods themselves they're shelf stable and have at least a few nutrients. Some hot sauce or a jelly packet can make shitty food palatable enough to choke down. Jelly packet toilet hootch would be a hot commodity in the cantonments.