View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 09:33 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Sorry, I have to interject,

Krej, I couldn't help but laugh when you said,

"But, that's Serbia."

Mo, I honestly thought the guy who had the Boffors are a front yard onrament was just cool!

And me, thinking how to get an old reporduction cannon for my front yard would be too much. Now where did I put that catalogue for Dixie Gun works Although I could also go for a mortar for pure lostalga purposes mind you

As for wierd stuff for me? Hmmm, a wrong turn in the backwoods in Orego got me facing some "Good Ol Boys" in a beat up pick up, long beards and just overalls, but that was more of a Deliverance Situation than a T2K.

Or my honeymoon when we went to the Grand Canyon and the wife took a wrong turn. She thought a dry riverbed was the road. An oil pan and 30 mile hike later through the wild area of the Desert, although we did find a cool old cabin that used to be a small ranch.

Or, hanging out at an old coastal artillery batter when I was a kid. In high school we would sneak into the fort that was abandoned and explore the undergound galleries and bunkers. Same with the adjacent abandoned missile silo and command center <it was the command center for all of the other Nike Missile instillations for S. Cal> compltete with above ground support facilities.

As for other stuff. Eh, just the regular military stuff, being almost blown up, patrolling and following people/places and things, hiding out and observing, calling in artillery, living in a hole for a year, living on MRE no water, no bathing no sleep, half rations for months and stuff like that which is really rather boring and routine. Oh, this is twilightish, living and operating in full MOPP gear for prolonged periods.

And this was always cool, operating in small groups, teams and squads doing small unit operations. But also working with units and personel of other countries and the inevitable trade that goes on be it uniform items, peices of kit, knives, rations or cigarettes.