Thread: Coolest Camo
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2023, 08:17 PM

I’d figure that by fall of 1998 units in CONUS would be trying to put clothes on the backs and shoes on the feet of any new “draftees” or “volunteers” they took in and you’d probably see a hodgepodge of uniforms, from the OG507 “pickle suit” all the way up to the newest type of BDU. The prospect of safety, and basic needs (food, shelter, clothing) being met is likely a big draw once the Mexican invasion, government schism, and rise of NA put paid to initial attempts at recovery.

I’d imagine disciplined units would make some attempts at uniformity, by at least insisting on a common article of clothing for recognition; for example, one organization I worked with didn’t care what you wore as long as you had a pair of DCU pants or silkies on. Less disciplined units or militia may adopt an even more informal standard going with headgear, a marker, or a brassard (“Everbody on duty wears a calumet high football jersey.”). In inclement weather, I could see this breaking down completely if issue type cold/wet weather gear is not available; a friend of mine was part of a unit that ended up being committed 3 weeks on a 72 hour tasking- when the weather turned cold they bought civilian sweaters, etc. and integrated them as best they could into their current attire!

There’s a psychological benefit to being able to keep your troops in the prewar uniform, or at least a standardized uniform. When you move into a new area, a unit in well maintained prewar kit or even standardized older kit will give the impression of being well supplied and disciplined given the ragtag nature of most forces by 2000. This can go a long way towards quietening an area.