View Single Post
Old 11-04-2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest View Post
i lived on Ft Huachuca in 95 and live near now. so i might be able to help.
I’d add there was a baseline tank range and a mortar range in the east range complex area, KD and pop up ranges, and an MG transition/ATGM range that supported a USAR M60A3 battalion until the early 90s. Some of the ranges were disestablished following the deactivation of 8-40AR, but I’d wager they’d still be there in T2KU, along with the MATES site and maintenance facilities on the flats.

The airfield (Libby AAF) is huge- never saw a 747 there, but I did see C-5s and E-8s there. It’s a training FOL for the A-10s and F-16s out of Luke, DM, and Tucson. It’s also become a FOL for BORTAC/BORSTAR in recent years. Making it a real tactical/airlift airfield will require MHE, ordnance storage and handling, fueling systems, and more hangarage/revetments. Rigging for personnel drops is easy (chute truck), but there’s no pallet build or rigger loft.

The UAS airfield at Black Tower is good for Hunter sized aircraft, and could easily operate an O-2 or OV-10 class aircraft. Unlike Libby, I don’t believe it’s all weather, but it does have fuel, maintenance, etc. No billeting or DFAC, I believe. It’s a ways out from the cantonment, but it’s got a great field of view and could be a useful outpost. Late 90s I believe there were also some training support structures with water, power, etc. out in the western part of the reservation supporting AIT, OBC, etc.

The area is surprisingly productive. There’s ranching/cattle in and around Hereford and Sonoita, wine production in the Santa Rita’s (not great wine, but it does the job), and dry country agriculture. Additionally, pine and oak is plentiful in the mountains for use as fuel or building material. One critical vulnerability of the area in modern times is a near total dependence on electricity for water/sewage pumping, cooking, etc. This could be offset by solar with planning, but in the late 90s/early 00s, that power came in by line from Tucson with small local plants in Douglas (oil) and Cochise(coal/gas). Fires and weather were able to disrupt the power.

The wildlife is widely varied. Encounters could encompass coyotes, javelina, pronghorns, and bobcats at lower elevations with black bear, mountain lion, coati, and even the occasional jaguar or ocelot at higher elevations. Coues and Mule deer, jackrabbits, and game birds are also widespread. Not to mention snakes. Lots of snakes. There’s a marked monsoon season in the summer, with rain and a temperature drop every day. In the winter, it’s not unusual to have snow on the old parade field at Huachuca with rain on Fry Boulevard in Sierra Vista.

Last edited by Homer; 11-07-2023 at 09:38 AM.