View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke11 View Post
If you look at the floors and what is contained in them, the officer's quaters is up on the 4th floor. I don't think an officer will want to climb up stairs each time they want to get to their room, espically in the KFS Defence Forces.
I agree it would annoy the officer but I think there is still a logic to ladders logistically. You also need to remember these are the lowest level of officers in most cases and that ladders are acceptable on Naval ships for officers to transit between decks.

Here are my thoughts. Materials wise stairs would be more difficult to construct and would take up quite a bit of limited floor space. A big downside would be constantly moving consumables (ammo) to the top floors. But for that I have considered putting a rope and pulley system at the top of the ladder column. I admit a ladder system creates a bottleneck in movement (especially with combat loaded troops), but I am thinking of a two ladder system with removable plates for safety.

If you look at the drawing below the red lines would be the removable plates. These are for safety (preventing one from plummeting 40 feet to their death), but can be removed to move cargo to the top levels or when speed requires both ladders be used at the same time.

Stairs still would be better for transit that my ladder plan, so I guess it all comes down to how much floor space you have.
Attached Images

Last edited by kato13; 03-13-2010 at 08:25 AM.