View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I know most bulletproof vests are given a life of 3 to 5 years. And some are considered "used up" when they do stop a bullet. So each time it does its job and you survive you need a new one. That of course is the civilian side which is dictated by lawyers.

However, how many hits could modern combat armor sustain before it looses its effectiveness? I hear the SAPI plates do crack when hit. So how long before your trauma plates are used up?

And then we also have conditions, the old Kevlar we were told was as usefull as carboard when it got wet.

And of course we have the issue of the system sustaining damage. So what happens when it is hit with schrapnel or bullet hits putting holes in it or sections of it get torn or sheared off? And I already mentioned items contaminated with chemical agents so to wear it would give you a constant dose of chemical weapons damage? Or you just have to abandon it, like falling into a river and having to ditch your gear and swim for it, or dropping your armor because you have to climb or do something requiring agility and you can't retrieve it.