Thread: Gps, glonass...
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Default Gps, glonass...

I think that the subject has been addressed slightly before but not that much. Then here are the questions:

What would be the existing systems in the Twilight War?
- GPS (USA): fully active, accessible to US (and allies), NATO and China (depending on your background) : program launched in 1960, first satellites launched in 1978, second batch in 1989 and fully operational for the military by 1995.
- GLONASS (USSR/Russia): partially or fully active (T2013). used by the Warsaw Pact. Program launched in the 1980's, satellites launched in 1995 and operational by 1996. However, only 6 satellites remain functionnal by 2000 and a new batch is launched after 2003 and the system is now almost complete again. I think that I have seen somewhere that it suffers from some problems (but so does the GPS).
- GALILEO (EU): dream about it except may be if you play T2013. EU was still talking about it in 2000 and will not be fully functionnal before 2003.
- Beidou (China): Could be but it would certainly be limited to China (from what I understand). If you play T2013 it could be partially functionnal as an international system. The program started in 1983 but it was really started in 1993. With the tension of T2K it could be accelerated.
- IRNSS (India): regional only and still a project.
- Transit (USA): suspended in 1996 but with T2K I can easily imagine the system to be maintained as a kind of backup.

What would be the status of these systems in 2000 (or whatever date)?

My answer would be that GPS and GLONASS could still be partially functionning. Part of their respective 24 satellites could still be fuctionnal but not all. Regular decay would have disabled some of them, others would have been destroyed by possible antimissile systems and more would have been destroyed by EMPs.
For "Transit", it should be fun if it had been forgotten for sometimes and put back in line.
For Galileo, continue to dream about it, or it would be disabled in T2013.
Beidou is a matter of choice but I would suspect it to be destroyed: 4 satellites is not that much a target.

What do you think, especially those very numerous who know better than I do. Thanks