Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 11:25 AM

I'm on my lunch break so this will be brief. I have to agree with Raellus that it is an improvised weapon. However, I do NOT believe it is a KPV. It is MUCH larger and I think you are looking at a 20mm weapon here. The person holding it is dressed as either a former Yugoslavian Army soldier or a Chechen Army soldier so this gives us a clue to what it might be but I was not really able to ID it until I Googled the Isreali TCM-20 20mm AA Gun. The cannon in the photo is a Hispano-Suiza HS.404 20mm, just like you see ALL OVER Africa, that was probably made by Zastava. The reason I couldn't ID it initially (despite KNOWING I had seen one in person) is that its UPSIDEDOWN. The 404 SHOULD have its mag feed and the gas piston/recoil rod assembly ON TOP of the barrel. This gun has both UNDERNEATH. It eventually dawned on me that they turned the cannon upsidedown and welded on a stock assembly resembling one several types off of various anti-materiel rifles in current use (and probably containing a hydraulic piston to reduce the recoil impulse). They fabricated a pistol grip with a "squeeze-cocker" style trigger because the 404 uses a "butterfly trigger" like the M2 Browning (or a solenoid for electric remote fire). The recoil brake is a Berrett M82 "harmonica style" version on steroids. The mag appears to be a homemade 5 or 6 rounder. The factory 10-rounders are much longer and curved (they probably don't fit between the gun and the ground in this configuration).

Anyway, that's my take on this weapon.

Swag.