View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
With active "fronts" (if you can still call them that in 2001) in Alaska and the south west, as well as clashes with Civgov, it would seem very unlikely any unit would be sent anywhere near their prewar base, such as exists post nuke.
Now I have to say first that I do not have the Howling Wilderness expansion so some of the details I do not have. But if I understand it correct these are the troops returning from Europe, I can not see them leaving equipment behind when the left, as they do not know what they are going home to, but do know that the world is not the same as they left it. So if the unit has the cohesion to make it across Europe, get transport back to the states, and are still a viable combat unit. And you want them to go fight in Alaska or the South West, but are not willing to let them do a "drive by" of there old base to pick up families and such. That I agree is going to have mass desertion, but if you have a unit that was stationed at FT Hood TX (I do not remember if it was nuked or not, but for sake of argument we will say it was) and they are reading and willing to head off to the south west, but say they are going to go by FT Hood on the way and pick up what families they can, I see this as a good thing. When so many of the units are being forced to grow there own food, produce there own fuel and such having their families with them makes them more likely to fight to keep the country together and work to stabilize it. So to be clearer on what I meant by being sent to there home base, this is what I am talking about, I am not saying that you need or even would want to send a viable combat unit to Ft Drum when there is no combat any place near there, but letting them swing by and pick up their families on the way, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
With the extremely limited logistics and transportation available, any troops retained would be best used as reinforcements - there's just no way even a single battalion is going to be able to be shifted half way across the continent, but it might be possible to move a few score, perhaps a couple of hundred.
As for the logistics and transportation I would see it for the most part being what they returned to the States with be that just the simple LPC up to the mighty tanks and anything in between they were able to get across Europe now if they have some spare parts and stuff to help them, that would be good. But yes I agree that is going to be very limited, and even if they did just tell them you are out now, here is a weeks food have a nice day. If I have been working/fighting and just staying alive with the same bunch of guys for the last several years, unless we are all form very different parts of the nation I do not see them splitting up, if you have a group of guys from say a Midwest state or two, Colorado, Washington and Oregon, I would expect them to head out as a group at least to the closest home on the way, there if it is nice and they still have family there I could see the group start to break up, but if it is not nice and/or they no longer have living family there I would not be surprised to see them stick together to the next and so on.

Last edited by CDAT; 07-02-2018 at 03:45 AM.