View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.munsey View Post
I am not to sure that the LCM would have the range or it would be a one way ticket (190 nautical mile range), the LCU, yes, but would they have any or enough?
It only a 70 nautical mile trip from the east German coast to Polish Coast at Kołobrzeg. Given the location of 2nd Marine Division at Bialogard, Poland landing by LCM/LCU there makes sense. Both the US Navy and US Army have landing craft that could make the 70 nautical mile trip and return safely.

Quote:
if you could convince the Captains that they would be reimbursed for such a voyage and insured against loss
What a civilian Captain to do when a bunch of navy and marine types show and enlisted your ship and crew

Quote:
I would say yes, except the price would be very high if there was any threat to the ships, like for instance, a SCUD came crashing down on the USS TARAWA or the large RO-RO with all of the vehicles during the landing. That would be an incentive for the smaller ship Captains to stay away
Again do to the fuel shortage any evacuation would us smaller craft (think a force of small boat like at Dunkirk) and only transport men as far as the east German coast.

Quote:
lets say that it was something not so drastic, something simple as improperly trained crew and the RO-RO rolls over during the final landing stages, as they offloaded the RO-RO improperly (it happens) and it rolled over in the bay with the Marines and Germans looking at it thinking; "Okay, No what, that was our meal and fuel ticket. Now what?"
Or something as a simple as “headquarters says there isn’t any fuel left for the landing craft to return. This could be followed by an incepted 5th Infantry Div “you're on your own” order or the omega order. The Div then has to make its way down the coast to Szczecin (which is close to German border). There they hope to evacuate back into Germany by sea or land.