View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
I like the idea of different shields having varying levels of protection. For people using the book damage system, I think a fair substitute would be for each point of success to absorb 2 points of damage (equivalent to parenthetical AV (1) from TNE).
The system for shields above is the percentage of the location covered if you PASSIVELY WARD that location without actively parrying. I didn't list any AVs because they vary so greatly from object to object.

Active Parries:

Actively parrying takes an ACTION@ to do and the reason the system drops damage dice based on the skill roll is due to the fact that a skilled defender can greatly reduce damage using even a makeshift device to partially deflect a blow.
For an example of an ACTIVE PARRY: Jason Bourne grabs the local phonebook which is approximately 1" thick and made of bound paper. His assailant is armed with an 8" butcher knife and attempts to stab him. Jason expertly deflects the knife by striking the "flat" of the blade with the phone book's spine or by striking his attacker's wrist (also using the spine). The knife may leave a "gash" in the phonebook's spine but is completely deflected.

Passive Warding:

Passive warding takes no @ACTIONS and the player must specify what locations his character is Warding. If the location is hit, the "Shield" protects on the Warding Roll or lower. The AV depends on the "shield" being used.
For an example of a PASSIVE WARD: Jason Bourne holds the phonebook from the previous example in front of him to Ward his head. This book as an AV of (2)... the parenthesis indicating the number of POINTS (not Dice) of Damage the book will absorb. His attacker rolls his attack and succeeds. He hits Jason in the head. On a roll of 10 or less, the book will absorb 2 points of Damage from his attacker's Damage roll.

This is the difference between Parrying and Warding.

@ = I am now using a simplified "ACTIONS" system where each action represents 1 Second's worth of activity. Each SECOND in a combat round is roughly equal to an Initiative Step. Various activities can take different numbers of ACTIONS. To determine the number of ACTIONS each character gets during a combat round, follow the steps below:

1) Roll 1D6 and add this to the Character's Initiative Score (giving a total from 2-12).
2) Subtract any modifiers from this total for things like Fatigue and Wounds.
3) Divide the remaining total by 2 and ALWAYS ROUND UP. This is the number of ACTIONS that the character has for that round. Each ACTION is 1 Second AND 1 Initiative STEP.

EXAMPLE: Joe has a 4 Initiative and rolls a 3 for a total score of 7. He is Lightly Wounded (-1) and now has a total score of 6. Dividing 6 by 2 equals 3. Joe has 3 ACTIONS for this combat round. I would give Joe three poker chips and he would surrender them as he performed his actions in the various Initiative Steps.