View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
If you ever find that source, please post it here. I'd love more justification for bringing back the SLR hard.?
Can't say much for the UK but I know that up until the early 90s, thousands of SMLE's were kept in storage by the Australian Army for potential issue to the population in the event of invasion. The SLR probably replaced the SMLE in this role as the Steyr come into service.
I also know that brand new SLRs were still being issued from storage up until 1991-2 (absolutely jam packed with grease to prevent rust - barrels completely blocked with the stuff). These weapons had been produced up to several decades earlier and not seen the light of day since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Here's a question. Would the G11's caseless ammo be easier, more difficult, or no different to manufacture after the exchange took out most industry?
Gut feeling is more difficult. With no brass to reload, back yard reloaders couldn't manage without the hi tech moulds and special chemical mix to hold it all together. At least with conventional cased rounds, you have a little flexibility with type of propellant. With caseless, you get the formula wrong and you're likely to end up with little more than a crumbling mess.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem