View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM

11-14 years is a lot of time (1984 to 1995/8), so there's a lot to speculate.

I can conceive of a CIA (CivGov) goal of enticing the Soviets to strike Hawkins during the TDM period, just to eliminate certain problems... Perhaps some hints of a wonderful new technology being developed in Hawkins National Lab...

Or a strike (or ADM) by US forces, blamed as a strike by Soviets....

Dustin, Mike, Lucas, Max, and El would be ~25 in 1995.

Some of El's capabilities can be recreated using the Dark Conspiracy rules

Now, there's a campaign idea:

Setting, December 1998

Amid the pain and confusion just after TDM, a small military team (here's a chance to build those Spec Forces characters) is dispatched to find what they are briefed on as either rogue Americans or better yet a team of Soviet infiltrators who are trying to set off a nuke in this town in Indiana, targeting a lab where vital technology research is being performed (how can the Upside Down be used to military advantage). Find these infiltrators and stop their plot.

Except the infiltrators are an FBI SWAT team with scientists in tow, off to destroy Hawkins National Lab, nuking it to be sure.

"Now, listen, Lieutenant, they will probably try to convince you that they are some hush-hush civilian authority, with what looks like perfectly legitimate ID. But take it from me, these are just excellent fakes. They are taking full advantage of the nuclear-induced communication issues, so no one can check their IDs."

"Don't worry about why they are using a team for this rather than a missile strike. i have another team in intelligence working on that. You just concentrate on finding them before they can set off their nuke."

Traveling across (parts of) post-strike America will be bad enough. Then the players find out why one part of the US Government wants to unleash a nuke on US soil, as hell is literally breaking out in Hawkins....

Perhaps talking with some of the local townsfolk, like the Sheriff could shed some light on the matter....

BTW, my daughter has an idea for a Season 3 episode: "Will Byers has a perfectly nice day" (fraught with moments of deep foreboding that turn out to be perfectly innocent and happy). The kid certainly deserves it...

Uncle Ted