View Single Post
Old 07-06-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
One question I have regarding consolidation is unit identity, heritage, and heraldry as they support unit morale and cohesion. At what level, if any, would commanders deem it necessary to retain prewar designations as a tool to help maintain unity and loyalty? Would "we're 1st Platoon, B Company, 3-143 Infantry" still invoke any sense of pride or purpose for the squad-sized collection of survivors and replacements?

- C.
Since it seems that units are anywhere between 5%-20% of their pre-war levels, an Infantry Battalion would be sitting at between 30-150 soldiers. This is roughly the natural size of human social networks, so I would see units really focusing on the battalion.

I'm not sure in the ruined force structure of mid-2000 that anyone is really holding too hard to the unit's heritage, given that substantial portions of the force may not even be nationals of the armies they're attached to. The units that settle and integrate into the community would probably start to identify more with the local heritage and identity than their previous unit.

High-morale units like special operations forces or airborne/air assault units might hold closer to their unit lineage.