View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest View Post
the Scots have a few big and a lot of small distilleries. even the small ones might be able to put out 1000L of fuel.

being able to make are amounts of use able fuel could be good (sale or trade) or bad (ie target)

I would think that most would be damaged of limited use....maybe spare parts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Scotland
I live near a very small rye whiskey distillery in Virginia (~300,000 liter capacity) and spent some time talking to them to get an idea of what's needed for distilling. To get 100 liters of fuel-grade alcohol would require about 300 kilograms of rye, 1150 liters of water, 5 hours of cooking time, a week of fermentation, and 6+ hours of distilling. Assuming input scales linearly, each kiloliter of fuel will need 1.5 tonnes of grain and 11,500 liters of water; the time would be similar, since the larger distilleries have larger (or more) stills, but the necessary resources are quite steep. Unless there are significant surpluses of grain, making any large amount of alcohol-based fuel isn't happening.

James - there are a couple technical inconsistencies in the document. On pages 2 and 3, units are sometimes listed as 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, and sometimes as 1 or 2 (for example, in the 2nd Reserve Battalion Army of Scotland, Waterloo Company was formerly part of 1 51st Highland Volunteers, while Tangier company was part of 2nd 51st Highland Volunteers; I believe Waterloo should be 1st 51st rather than 1 51st). In the sidebar on page 6, the title refers to RAF Leuchars, but the first sentence has it misspelled as Leucchars.