View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 04:48 AM

Default Protectionism

I see Scandinavian countrie sgoing the way of isolation as far as possible .

Sure , if the Russians act up we would need a strong international stance as they are our neighbours - but say a chaos erupted due to several more limited conflicts and the ensuing economical collapse - Scandinavia -especialy Norway/Sweden would have electricity ,perhaps petrol,maybe enough food to last us as well as being far from the center of trouble ,central Europe,US ,UK ,central Russia etc .

I could see us -small and non capable military as we are - to try and lock down and try to ride it out with a situation bordering on martial law or fully under martial law.

We are unused to war and not quick to take up arms -unless invasion of Norway proper looms. If control ceases in our major partners ,US and parts of the EU -we would hole up is my guess.

I follow kato on the rural/metro divide line and think that those with farms,fisheries,woods etc would be loathe to let us computer dabbling,tertiary services types get their food .A sort of re distribution or massive robbery if you are a farmer would go down using the law as a cover to appropriate whatever food available to keep the masses at bay in the cities.Nationalization of farm land as a temporary measure would take effect ,reloaction of populace because of workforce issues an supply issues would occur too.

I see lots of potential for what historians later would call a low intensity civil war due to the troubles these harsh measures would cause , but I cant see a deeper split leading to a formation of competing political entities in Scandinavia .Al lin my humble opinion of course -and a word of warning to the Swedes -try to come back here and we got no candy for ya!

But as I said -we have 5 million people and app. 1,5 million firearms .Any heavy handed use of authority would escalate into violence at some point .Not a full blown civil war ,but certainly resistance,self defense against criminal activity wether it be perpetrated by goverment agencies or civilians and power struggle locally and possibly nationally .Though no full blown civil war as I said .

Last edited by headquarters; 02-24-2009 at 04:57 AM.